Thursday, January 08, 2009

Isn't it cute when old people get technology?


(Answer: No.)

We have some old people in our ward. About twelve that qualify as old, and ten that qualify as old and crochety. One that carries a briefcase.

And they ALL have gotten technology.

As a result, I get the following things every week:

1. e-cards

2. forwards in Spanish

3. forwards in English

4. a ward bulletin created using Corel-soft, I think.

5. plants/cookies/hugs/guilt on facebook.

Now, I love these old people, many of whom are Jooj's adopted grandparents. One in particular, she decided "She is SO cute! She gives me candy. She will be me NEW grandma." (Note to actual Grandmas: get on the candy stick if you want to stay in the game.) But in my world, I don't really understand how to fit these tech-savvy (ish) oldsters in to a pigeon-hole. I am not against them like CJane, but I do fear the power they may wield in, say, a Sidekick. Or a Twitter account. (New tweets: I like fiber! Viagra is awesome! I am old! Bill O Reilly is hot! I would have gotten away with it if it weren't for you pesky kids!)

I have been reading Reader's Digest to figure out their motives in techno-knowledgey, but all I am learning is that I need to speak to my doctor before I start a hormone replacement therapy regime, and that old people, apparently, have sex. Ew. Dad. EW.

There are things that I believe that old people need computers and gadgets and things for:

Family History.
Keeping recipes.
Receiving jokes and emails that they must then print out because they can't comprehend the fact that the interwebs will save them indefinitely.

But all of this can be done without me finding out that my friend's mom is now a doula and wants to invite me to join a group of some kind that saves whales when I receive a virtual gnome and then send a virtual gnome in return. Right?

11 comments:

Fig said...

Hardy har har. The facebook line was my favorite. SO TRUE.

My RS actually did a blogging night for Enrichment once, so that experienced bloggers (me) could give some lessons to virgin bloggers (oldsters) (the whole thing was NOT my idea, I assure you). The best thing about the night was the questions they asked. "Are people going to be able to hack into my bank accounts?" "Should I put my phone number on here?" "Are you SURE it's free?"

Carina said...

Right.

RIGHT.

La Yen said...

Oh, Fig, I will fly out for your next class. And I will give all of the wrong answers.

La Yen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sue-donym said...

Define old.

QueenScarlett said...

hahahahah to the post and Sue's comment.

J Cubed said...

And lots of it!

Guileless Mom said...

"One that carries a briefcase."

I'm sorry. That just needed to be repeated.

dalene said...

Wait. You already read Reader's Digest? I thought that was only for old people.

(Oh and what timing. Just yesterday Shane was looking in his inbox and saying the exact same thing--all they know how to do is hit that forward button. The generation that typed out all their theses and dissertations out by hand suddenly forgot how to do anything but hit forward and send buttons.)

Anonymous said...

Hey thanks for your sweet comment on Segullah. I REALLY appreciate it.

La Yen said...

CW--I read it in the bathroom at Curves, where I am the only one under 90. EXCEPT NOW I READ IT AT HOME BECAUSE I GOT A GIFT IN THE MAIL!!!

Michelle--Thank YOU for your amazing post on Segullah. I love finding out I am not the lone person.

Sue, you are not old. I am saying nothing about R.

Related Posts with Thumbnails