One of the trickiest things about moving to a new area is replacing all of the services that I need--hair, car, groceries, crack, etc.
The hardest by far has been the hair/nail/eyebrow maintenance search in EP. I have very specific needs (not a mullet) and have had a hard time with the language barrier. (Bad sign: "Ju wan whhispees?")
But yesterday my search for the nail place got a little bit further. We were killing time at the crappy crappy mall next to Costco (the mall with a store called "Aromas of Nature") and I noticed that the nail place didn't have a big wait, so I went in for a manicure.
(Let me first state that I have a few UNBENDING requirements for a nail place.
1. I want very little English from my nail techs. Even if they can speak fluently, I don't want to know about it. Very judgmental of me, playing into stereotypes, I know, so suck it. I want to get massaged and prettied without having to talk to anyone about anything other than "French Tip?"
2. I want a bunch of fancy pedi chairs--I don't want to wait and think about the person who may have sat there before me.
3. I do not want to see the bizarre nail posters (My least favorite? "Coffee and Nails"))
As I entered the place, the "boss" called me honey three times. Con
But they immediately sat me down and had me soak my hands. Pro
Boss tried to practice his English with a client. Con
Client was not me. Pro
No Nail Posters ANYWHERE. Pro
Nine Pedi Chairs. Pro
Manicure tech told me I had "Way too much cuticle. Been too long since last manicure. Very lazy." Con
Also told me Jooj was very big for her age. Pro
Old eyebrow waxing lady said the following sentences: "Ahnyong ahnyong ahnyong Fajita." "Ahnyong ahnyong ahnyong Mexican Restaurant." Pro!
Manicure tech washed my hands for me. Didn't even want me to be near my hands. Pro.
HEATED TOWELS. Pro Pro Pro!
Boss started teasing manicure tech in English. She played along for two sentences and then yelled at him in not English and from the look on her face, I think that she threatened his manhood, possibly his life. Pro.
So I think I may have found my nail place.
Tuesday, October 09, 2007
The Search
Labels: Lee Press Ons, North Mexico
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 comments:
Okay how come finding a good pizza place isn't your list? Our place lets us run a tab. That's how you know you've found a place you can call home.
This sounds divine!!
Ahnyong.
Have you seen this
before? Your post reminded me of it.
Whhispees???? Yikes. Run!
Oh--my three-year-old son just noticed your picture of the Jooj with both fingers up her nose. "Why is he doooeeen dat, Mom?" (He's pronoun challenged. Everyone is "he.") Then he proceeded to poke both fingers up his nose and laugh hysterically.
I have very strict rules when it comes to pampering services.
1. massages-please don't talk to me whilst in the middle of rubbing down my nude body. I don't want to tell you what I do for a living, I don't want to know what you had for lunch, I don't even want to know your name. If you follow the no talk rule I will leave you big tip.
2. pedicures-all the same rules as Yen. No I don't want the supreme pedicure where you exfoliate the hell out of my legs right down to the bare bone. Sandpaper is not an enjoyable sensation. And again, no talking. Non-engrish is okay as long as it is some form of asian and it's not directed at me.
3. hairstylists-please don't talk to me when you're blowdrying my hair. I don't like yelling, it gives me dry mouth. And I don't feel like getting into deep life changing conversations while you're elbow deep in my follicles.
pretty much this all revolves around not talking to me so I can enjoy my pamper time.
I feel like this stuff should be on my chart or something, or that I should play a disclaimer when I call up to make the appointment.
Ahnyong.
~j took that? I don't care.
I like going with my MIL as she tries to find new "girls." This usually consists of her saying, "I really like those Orientals. Those Filipinos are hard workers. My last girl was Thai, she had her life together."
MMMmmm with an eyebrow raise is what I say to that.
Mmmmmmmmm is what I say when she pays for a pedi (no eyebrow raise.)
I have a place here that cuts hair AND does the mani pedi. They are a family of Korean sisters and they love to gossip about each other (to each other, not me), gossip about each others husbands and children, etc. Frankly, I don't think they would talk to you if you wanted them too...they are busy. I love that each time I go in there I get caught up on the saga of who is doing what.
They are also very nice and always paint Lu's nails for no charge. It feels like home when I go in there....
I wouldn't mind the sagas, but I never get those techs--I either get the ambiguously gay men who want to "flirt" and laugh really loudly or the women who criticize my cuticles.
Ahnyong.
And Stew, you know that we are counseled to get into only "necessary" debt. A pizza tab would be dangerous for us. Very dangerous.
Ahnyong!
I seriously ache for a pedi--not so much into the mani--and I the next person to do my eyebrows will need a machete.
Ache I tell you.
Oooo, I have the same rules. I don't want them talking to me. I want to read a magazine, preferably something trashy, while they scrub my feet. I don't want to have to look at the horrified expressions on their faces when they see the state of my heels, and I do NOT want to talk about it. There is a nail salon near my house with 10 pedi chairs. Forget the fall party - somebody host a pedicure night.
Post a Comment