Tuesday, December 16, 2008

All Scottish Food is Based on a Dare

Subtitle: The De-Cuba-fication of Princess Jooj.

So, we only really do things that celebrate W's heritage/culture/things. This is not intentional. I think it probably stems from the fact that for the first eight years of our marriage we lived with only my family nearby. And so we didn't really honor things from the Johnson side, simply because we were inundated by them. Also, because the Johnson side has some weird/nasty things to honor. Including a Kanab plant called "Cheese Weed."

I come from a proud line of pasty people. (Not the delicious sandwich, the skin color.) We are: Danish. Scottish. English. Russian. Not even a drop of Fraunch to spice things up. Irish? Not a chance. Brown in any capacity? Nay, we say. And then we apply sunblock.

So, since Papi is not home and Papo isn't around to meddle with my ways, I have decided to introduce Jooj to the other side of her family.

Round one: Aebleskivers.


I introduce to you one of the greatest things about the Danes. Aside from my Grandmother and my Great-Grandmother. And her sisters.

Jooj likes hers with syrup. I am a purist, wanting them with the Lingonberries and butter. Some people really like them covered in brown sugar.

For a long time you could only really purchase a good aebleskiver pan at a fancy specialty shop (or in Denmark.) But thanks to the miracle of TV, you can get one at your local Target in the "As seen on..." aisle. It is called the Pancake Puff. But it is actually a $20 cast-iron delight. If you refer to it as the "Pancake Puff" I will punch you in the throat.

I highly encourage you to celebrate my heritage with me, and make some delicious 'skivers.

  • 2 egg whites
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 4 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • Melted butter for frying

DIRECTIONS

  1. In a clean glass or metal bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until they can hold a stiff peak. Set aside.
  2. Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, sugar, egg yolks, melted butter and buttermilk at one time and beat until smooth. Gently fold in the egg whites last.
  3. Bruch melted butter in the bottom of each aebleskiver pan cup and heat until hot. Pour in about 2 tablespoons of the batter into each cup. As soon as they get bubbly around the edge, turn them quickly (Danish cooks use a long knitting needle, but a fork will work). Continue cooking, turning the ball to keep it from burning.
--I use a clean paint-can-key or my Pampered Chef avocado peeler. It works better than a fork. And my needles have yarn on them. A fork is for suckers.

If she is lucky, I will next introduce her to the joys of Grandma Bev and Aunt Margaret's ground bologna/sweet pickles/mayonaise pate...

8 comments:

Fig said...

My best friend and her husband were famous for their aebleskivers. She and I could never agree on the pronunciation - can you help?

Also, please no pictures of bologna pate. Just kidding. Kind of.

La Yen said...

Long A-bla-skee-va is the correct way. The Johnson way is Long A-bull-skee-vers.

And I will not be doing the pate. But I will be asking my grandma to make it for me...

Anne-Marie said...

Oh my! Those look delectable!

(bologna pate? sick, yet intriguing)

Snarky Belle said...

Those look so delicious! I am not the best in the kitchen, but for something that looks that good, I can try!

Just noticed you listed on your 101 things list: See a show on Broadway. Well, we are only 4 hours away from NY, so come for a visit. We can hope on the bus, they would drive us and dump us smack in the middle of Times Square. But now I am probably making a fool of myself because you probably have some really cool NY friends you could go visit. Oh well, you're welcome here anytime.

wendysue said...

So, 'skivers. Maybe I'll make some and sit around eating 'skivers in my skivees.

Just a thought.

Morgan Moore said...

It's our tradition to make these every Christmas. Have you ever been to Solvang here in California?

dalene said...

Bless you. I was just thinking about these (I grew up on them) and was wondering if and where I could find a pan. Target--who knew?

And I heart lingonberries. Sounds like I need a Target run and a Ikea run sometime in the near future.

p.s Merry Christmas.

La Yen said...

Morgan, W limits me to one Solvang trip per decade. So I should be getting one in a few years. He is a giver, that husband of mine.

Related Posts with Thumbnails