Sunday, November 23, 2008

Mission: Completion!

Last night was our Ward Thanksgiving Party. I am the Activities Committee Chair, as well as the entire committee. I rely on the ward council to second-guess my decisions and tell me that I am wrong about everything, and then I go forward making no one completely happy. It is a great system.

So, the tradition is a talent show along with the dinner, but let me tell you--it is painful. We have some very talented people in the ward, and none of them share their talents. Mostly it is Sunbeams breathing into the microphone and HPs telling goofy jokes. Plus, the majority of the ward is out of town, so I decided to forgo the show in favor of watching a movie.

Oh, the blasphemous horror!

I stuck to my guns, but told people that if they were dying to perform, OF COURSE we would love to be entertained. Again, no one wanted to do any talents. (But I am sure that this will be remembered as "The year we weren't ALLOWED to have a talent show.")

**A side note: We got off to a rocky start last weekend on our way home from California, and ended up taking two days to get home, which meant I missed the ward council meeting last week. I had the dinner all planned and assigned, and I informed the 1st councilor that I was going to be gone, and let him know of my plans. He was very cool with it. So at the meeting, the RS president decided that my plans were not acceptable, changed them all, and then told me "Well, somebody had to pick up the ball. You weren't there." Later, she told me "You don't have enough people doing this, and you don't have enough things assigned. You are going to find out that it is much harder than you think it is, and you will be in trouble." (She wasn't there last night.)**

This wasn't supposed to be a story about how rough I had it. Please excuse.

Anyhoo, I got there early to set up, and found the bishopric readying a fryer for a turkey. We set up the tables, and the missionaries helped me decorate. I heated up some food in the oven, the High Priests came with the projector, set up the movie, and people started pouring in. They brought their food and desserts, and started eating. I asked a friend to sit with Jooj and make sure she ate, and while they ate I cleaned up the kitchen. Another friend helped me clean, and they started a movie. People went home instead of watching the movie, which meant that I got to clean up even earlier. The tables and chairs got put away, the floors were mopped, and I took the dishes home to wash. And we all got home by 9 pm.

So, basically, people are good. They see that they are needed and help out. I didn't have it rough. I didn't fail. And when people told me "You did such a great job!" I responded with "I didn't do very much at all--everyone helped out."

And that is why I love this Church. Because, despite the crankiness, people are good.

10 comments:

Sister Pottymouth said...

Amen and amen!


I'm sorry the RS Pres was kind of nasty to you, though. And I second the motion to nix ward talent shows, although sometimes they can be entertaining in a twisted way.

(snort) My word verification is "prood." Does that apply to the RS President's actions? Mmmm-hmmm.

Sherry said...

I just have to say WAY TO GO on skipping the talent show! I would much rather watch a movie and have a nice dinner with ward members than endure various "talents" being performed.

dastew said...

Jen how dare you assume people are fundamentally good. Don't you know that people are evil pure and simple! As the show Seinfeld once said Elaine:"people suck" Jerry:"yeah they're the worst."

QueenScarlett said...

I'm with Seinfeld here... ;-)

But you... you are charitable...

b. said...

Congratulations on a successful ward party!

The Christian and more mature me should love your RS pres, the earthly and real me thinks she was a schmuck.

dalene said...

Bless your soul. Really. I'm glad everyone stepped in and helped out.

Anne-Marie said...

One thing I don't miss about being in the EP...multiple callings. (I had three)

Fig said...

I dig this. I do not dig your RS pres. What is it with those ladies?

Fried turkey is the BEST turkey.

CKW said...

Movies are the new talent show!!

If I was in your ward, I would have pulled you aside and fervently thanked you for not having a talent show. Who actually enjoys those?

La Yen said...

DaStew, I know! And I am kind of a Republican! The combination of those beliefs get me in trouble every time.

Everyone Else--they didn't even watch the movie. They went home early. Which was better than everything! But seriously, who wants to watch the talent show? Not me. Unless it is a funny spoof or something.

And she is not all bad, just doesn't know when to keep her yap shut. And has some major control issues. MAJOR. Really major.

Related Posts with Thumbnails