Sunday, June 03, 2007

Sunday Gone to Meeting

So W is gone again. Just for a week this time, so not too bad. Except that his absence included a Sabbath. Blech. Here is the recap, by the numbers:

4 trips out of the chapel so that Jooj can sit on my lap and be told "It is no fun in the foyer. No books or stickers. How sad. We can go back into the chapel with the fun books and stickers and listen to the speakers when you are ready to be sweet."

8 people who stopped me and told me that I looked like I needed a break

5 screaming requests for "Papi!!"

1 pooped-through diaper, onesie, and skirt with attached bloomers

25 minutes of random storied over the pulpit from a visiting lady

3 sheets of stickers, stuck to the pew

3 incoherent toddlers (not mine) shouting in the microphone from the pulpit (including the phrase "I know that carrots are good for my body. Amen.") while their parents gazed admiringly on

4 packs of fruit snacks, stuck to the pew

2 Snickers Ice Cream Bars when I got home.

Thank heavens that the church is still true--I don't think I can do this again!

11 comments:

dalene said...

3 times I laughed out loud over this post

~j. said...

alright, can we start a revolution right now?

STOP TELLING PEOPLE THEY LOOK TIRED. STOP TELLING PEOPLE THEY LOOK LIKE THEY COULD USE A BREAK.

I get this every stinkin' day of my life, and nothing makes me go from 100% to 20% faster than someone saying, "You look really tired." Really? thanks. I'm feeling fine. I just have dark circles under my eyes, and you should know that about me.

Hm. maybe i should blog about this instead of hijacking your comments.

And good for you -- i stayed home yesterday.

dastew said...

Well what about the damnable people asking when we're going to have kids. Maybe I should tell them that we don't think we're doing it right and should invite them over to critique our method? Or is that crossing a line. Too late now. (I don't believe in the backspace except to correct egregious spelling mistakes)

La Yen said...

Stew, that it perfectly fine. I have told them many more things than that!

And ~J, in their defense, I really did need a break. Because she was slapping me.

dalene said...

p.s. I laughed out loud because I feel your pain. Not because I find the situation laughable. Just so you know.

Guileless Mom said...

If I could transport you here for a week at a time (because we all know "flying you out here" would be more miserable than any of the above!!!) I would do it in a heart beat!!! Until we figure that "transport" thing out.... thank heaven for Snickers Ice Cream Bars.

P.S. How old do kids have to be to send them on a bus to their grandma's house???? ;)

sue-donym said...

Why can't we just "homechurch" until they can sit through an entire sacrament meeting?

Oh, I know, because none of us would ever go back.

QueenScarlett said...

I want to echo ~J - you're awesome to go.

I didn't go on Sunday...because Melia needed to nap. Darn... in my defense...I did have my makeup done...so I had every intention of going. ;-)

I like the home church idea... really... that idea needs to catch on. Because foyer church or mother's lounge church is merely the chance to be completely stressed and uncomfortable.

La Yen said...

I would NEVER return to regular church if I went to home church. Televised General Conference and the BYU channel are like gateway drugs to me. Sometimes I fantasize being stationed in the Eastern Bloc or Kuwait or something where my family is our own branch and we can have church in the living room. Which is why we will never be stationed there. Because I will become an apostate of the worst kind.

And I am never as good as the Queen--I know well before I get out of bed if I am going to church or not.

QueenScarlett said...

I have watched Sunday services on that BYU channel... grainy... but doable. ;-) AND BS... non-committal...but going through motions is me. ;-)

jungleprincess said...

Your kid sounds like my kid. We've been using the janitor's closet since she was four months old because the foyer would give her too much visual stimulation (watching everyone else's kids running around). She has learned that being held tightly on Mom or Dad's lap in a closet with the light off is way less fun than waving at the others in the congregation and "being sweet." I'm hoping that by the time she's old enough to understand, I won't even have to say, "Uh-oh, looks like a little closet time." Oh, and if you decide to try this, brace yourself for the screaming and the nice, concerned members who open the door wondering who's torturing their kid in there.

Related Posts with Thumbnails