Monday, June 03, 2013

Super Nerd Alert

So, I have a confession to make:  I am a super nerd.

Not a COOL nerd, like the Doctor Who/ComiCon/Steampunk nerds*, but a nerdy-nerd with a nerd wish:

I really want to collect stamps.

For real.

I think it would be so fun, and relaxing and filled with tiny things for gluing and lots of boxes to check off.

(Just thinking about the possibility makes me happy)

BUT---

Have you met my children?  The Destroyers?

We call him Hulk.  Because of the smashing.
So, until I can have nice things (never) I do Postcrossing.  (Do you Postcross?)  Basically, it is a free website where you sign up and are assigned to send and receive postcards from around the world.  I send about 6 a month (because international postage is pricey) and I receive that many a month.  Just some happy mail to make me happy.  I buy tourist cards at gas stations and grocery stores and, a few years back, bought a grab bag of art cards from Pomegranate.  (Because some people are PICKY as to what type of cards they prefer to receive.)

It is ALMOST as fun as I think philately would be. (The other day I got a postcard from Crimea--that's where Landen Park-Laine lost his leg!*)

*I wish I was that cool of a nerd
**I am also a book nerd. 




4 comments:

Jean said...

Thursday Next!! I am always so excited to see you have a new post. That probably makes me a nerd.

Alissa said...

I have an honest to goodness stamp collection. I don't collect them anymore, but I did when I was a kid. My dad got us into it. Someday, when the HULK stops smashing, I can send you my collection if you like.

La Yen said...

Jean! Nice to have you here. Any Fforde fans are always welcome to my nerd parties.

And Alissa, I will take that. I will take it big.

Rick Galan said...

I have a stamp collection from when I was a kid. It's yours if you want it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails