Monday, June 24, 2013

Healthy Moms, Lean Moms, and Me--the Sick Mom.

True confessions time:  I am HORRIBLY unhealthy.  Legimately medically unhealthy.  My family history is filled to the brim with cancer and diabetes, and I have had gestational diabetes twice in two years.  I now have to take medication for hypothyroidism and my crazy, crazy brain has graduated to a (delicious and wonderful) class-4 medication.  I get sick-in-bed sick at least once every six weeks (more during the public school year) and my fitness level is about a negative-twelve.  Some of this I blame on making my boys, some of this I blame on making out with my boys, and some of this I blame on my daughter demanding Coca Cola Cake for dessert.

I can feel his slime infecting me from here.
I need to get healthier.  I want to get healthier--but I am also really concerned about the message I am sending to my daughter.  I don't want her to start being concerned about body-image.  I don't want her to think that I am concerned with being thin because, honestly, I am not.  I am NEVER going to be skinny.  I have curves.  I love my curves.  There is no amount of weight I could ever lose that would enable me to have a "thigh gap."  Genetically it is just not going to happen.  And I am cool with that. I don't want the body of a model (because, honestly, models don't even have the bodies of models, they have the bodies of photoshop) , I want the body of a person who doesn't get croup from their baby.  (IS THAT SO MUCH TO ASK?*)

So I am starting the Lean Moms program again.  I LOVE Lean Moms.  It is a nutrition and fitness program designed to help me build my muscles and my endurance and teach me how to eat more healthfully.  Every time I do it I feel better and stronger and I can feel my immune system toughen up**.  (And this time I am not going to get pregnant mid-way through.  I AM NOT.)  I am taking my measurements weekly so I have some idea of how things are shifting around but, mostly, I am gauging the way I feel and the energy I have.

My plan is to check in with my progress every Monday.  Expect some updates and some discussion about raising strong girls with strong body image and pray for my eggs to keep their doors closed.

Banner 3C
*Yes, apparently.
**This is how weak my immune system is:  I was going to start last week and instead caught a sinus infection.  I cannot win.

Disclaimer:  I love Lean Moms.  I bought the program a year ago, and loved it then and I love it now.  They renewed it for me in exchange for my blogging about my journey but, honestly, I would have renewed it myowndangself if they hadn't.  It is my favorite. Also, if you decide you would like to join Lean Moms and you hit their site through my links I get some money of some sort. 

6 comments:

Sherry said...

And also, good for you for this program. Sounds like a good one. And best of luck not getting pregnant this time.

Alissa said...

I exercise because it clears my brain. It makes me feel sane. I have always been thin. For that I consider myself incredibly lucky. But being thin does not equal healthy...I couldn't walk upstairs in my house without being winded. Ridiculous. So, GoOd for you. Strong is the new skinny.

Beth said...

Jen, I want to hear more about the program. Can I do it at home with my kids running around? A gym membership is not happening for me. What specifically do you like about the program? I really need to try something but I'm cheap and don't want to spend the money if I'm going to hate it and it won't fit into my lifestyle. I will pray for your eggs to stay closed if you'll pray the opposite for me.

La Yen said...

Thanks for your anti-preg prayers, all. (I never thought I would have said that)

Beth, I will be honest--the exercise is TOUGH. Like, I still can't do all the reps all the time tough. But wow, does it help me feel strong. I can do it at the gym or at home--I don't go to the gym as much in the summer because the child care hours are wonky, so I so the home version much more. It is not a ton of equipment--hand weights, bands, a ball, mostly. I do the pull-ups on our local(I can't do a pullup. I flail and call it) If you have access to a treadmill or a bike it helps, but you don't need it.

80 % of being strong, especially as we get older, is diet. And this diet is designed to help cleanse and build muscle. And it is SO MUCH FREAKING FOOD. I honestly can't eat it all every day.

I will get you some specific details and email you, and you will tell me all about your eggs.

CKW said...

I concur. I have real arm muscles for the first time in my life. It's nice to walk out of the gym knowing that my workout was effective. Before, I just did cardio and just pretended I knew anything about muscle groups.

That's Ms. Amy to You... said...

First, kudos on committing to better health. If you can't take good care of yourself, how can you take good care of those around you?

Second, although I agree that there is a concern about the messages we send our daughters, I think that by showing concern for your health & wellness, you are indicating that it is important. AND IT IS. I feel like society gets so caught up in vilifying the message of "thin is in" that I we very much overlook the message of basic good health. I've lost 30lbs. in the last year, and I don't hide what I eat, or when I exercise from my kids. Instead, we talk about making healthy choices, about balancing sweets and 'good for you' foods, and about how good we feel when we exercise. The kids know that exercise time is a priority now, and often join me in what I'm doing. We take family walks, have pushup and sit up contests, and prepare meals together. We DON'T talk about weight, or jean size, or calories.

Lean Moms looks great. Can't wait to hear more about it. Progress, not perfection!

Related Posts with Thumbnails