Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Traditions and a Grate Dill

Oh, the weather outside is windy! But we are listening to songs by Mindy! Add to that the crap transmission of late, Decorate, Decorate, Decorate!

It's full-swing Christmas here in the North Mexico, peeps!

Can I just begin to say how much easier it is to pull off Christmas when I am not violently ill with the fruit of my womb? I feel like a Tibetan running a marathon at sea level! Also, could be the pink bev!

For the next while on ElPasoRepresentYo (which is the way you should pronounce it, while making gang signs) we are talking about traditions. Not your traditions, because this is not your blog, but MY traditions. (Although you can talk about your traditions in the comments. Because I am a giver.)

I have a highly regimented, multi-stepped approach to Christmas. I am, as the youth of today say, a Holiday Nazi. But I am trying to mellow out.

But I am not trying very hard.

Step one? The Christmas Card!

I am a firm believer in the tangible Christmas card. I appreciate that people are embracing this whole "green" fad, and want to send "e-cards." To these people I say, NO. And then I soften up and say, "Go ahead, if you want to ruin Christmas. As long as YOU are happy." I love sending them, I love receiving them. I view it as a literal count of how much I am loved. It fuels my self-esteem issues.

Now, I know that some people feel like the photo card is tres gauche. Some people also have lots of money to spend on individual letter-press and don't like Emmett Otter's Jug band Christmas. Some people are douches. As for me and my house? We love the photo and the letter.

This year we are using Shutterfly for our holiday cards. I have been using them for my photos and photo books for a few years, and have been overwhelmingly thrilled with their quality, speed, and cheap price. Their cards are no different--they have over 800 fresh designs that make me feel fancy and important (since 80% of my family chose the same Costco design as we did last year). They are very affordable, and will even mail them if you are not a huge control freak like I am. Shutterfly also has other photo products like calendars and mugs and things, too, which makes gifts for great-grandmothers nice and easy. .

But back to the cards. Here are the templates from which I have narrowed my choices:
Because we are Espanish, you know
Because it is the truth, yo.
Because I like the colors

Same with this one

I love the writing.

It will probably come down to which best matches the picture I choose. My criteria this year is which one makes me appear less fat. Because baby weight is no joke. And neither are my bazooms. And if there is one thing I am sure of, it is my vanity.

So here is the neat part: If you are a Blogger, and you blog about using Shutterfly for your holiday cards, they will give you fifty free cards. This rules. Seriously. Especially because I was going to use them anyway! Disclaimer! Win Win! Franklin R Covey! Nice List! Herkie!

If only I knew some bloggers...

Next up? Crafting the letter...

8 comments:

kacy faulconer said...

I'm upping the ante on holiday Nazism by insisting my kids send thank you cards. Send me a card, yo? 1311 Camelot drive. 84601.

Sherry said...

Woot. So happy about this! Thanks for sharing. We are doing Christmas cards for the first time this year, and knowing that I can get 50 free cards makes me beyond happy.

dalene said...

I love the photos. Especially yours. But please know I love you even if I don't do cards. (Only because I am lazy and not nearly as photogenic or clever as you.)

sue-donym said...

River Bottom Nightmare Band!!

I love you more every day, my friend.

La Yen said...

Kacy, you are on the list.

And Dalene, I relieve you of your open support of my holiday self-esteem, but only because I am so sure of your love.

Sherry--hit it!

Sue--HE PUT A HOLE IN THE WASHTUB!!

Allyson & Jere said...

First and foremost...I could NOT agree with you more. NOTHING makes me happier than getting cards and letters in the mail. And I fully believe that pictures are essential, if you're gonna send a letter, send a picture, or I sort of hate you.

And also...you said douche, which only makes me heart you more. It caused out loud laughter. hahhahaha douche hahhahahhaha.

Kalli said...

oh yeah! we have similar taste which is not surprising to me, because we are soul mates, remember? LOOK OUT SHUTTERFLY!

I ordered mine yesterday. Get excited.

Vanilla Print said...

Wow!!! Big time THANK YOU's from Vanilla Print for selecting our Modern Damask Gold Tarjetas de Navidad design on Shutterfly as one of your top choices. It has made our day!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails