Thursday, September 30, 2010

Amor

Imagine the chorus from "Tomorrow" from that hit Broadway play Annie.
Now substitute the words for:

Tony the Tiger!
He's so handsome!
I want you in my heart!
Tony the Tiger!
I love you!
You will be my prince!

That's what Jooj has been singing for two weeks, now.

Apparently there is a boy at her table named Tony*. The kids call him "Tony the Tiger" because they are freaking witty. And five. Jooj is in love with him. It is serio, friends.

She can barely go five sentences without confiding "Mami, he is So Handsome!"**
She breaks into song at all opportunities.

Last week she came running to me when I went to pick he up
"Mami! Tony the Tiger asked me to marry him!"
I responded with congratulations and then reminded her that she was not allowed to get married until she was in college.
"But Mami! I already gave him my word! I have to keep my word! I don't want to break his heart!"

I told her that it was great to keep her word, and since she had already given him her word, they could remain betrothed, but she needed to remember the rule for future suitors.

That day we went to the Hobby Lobby. She pointed out all of the hot pink flowers and told me she wanted them in her bouquet for the wedding.

I am not making this up. She is five.

The next afternoon she had badgered Tony with her love so much that he called the wedding off. She took it well and told him how she wasn't really allowed to get married anyway.

Her father took her aside and explained how boys do not like girls to bug them about love and marriage, especially at such a young age. She was pragmatic about it.
"I will still love him, but just not talk to him about our love!"

Excellent.



*There is also a kid named either Elmer or Abner. I can't get a straight answer from her.
** She only speaks in italicized exclamations. Or screams of anger.

7 comments:

Zina said...

There's nothing quite like five-year-old wit. Or five-year-old romance

I have a niece who was just exactly like this at that age--planning her wedding and all.

QueenScarlett said...

Welcome to my world.

Mrs. O said...

Jooj is awesome.

Allyson & Jere said...

Awwww true love....isn't it beautiful.

Jooj sounds all kinds of awesome though.

Oh, and if you must know, I am TOTES gonna steal your "serio" word, 'cause that's funny.

soybeanlover said...

I was that girl.

Except jooj is smarter, case in point:
"I will still love him, but just not talk to him about our love!"

Dude it took me 20 more years to learn that one. Smart. Has W mounted a shotgun on the wall?

Anne-Marie said...

Girl's are boy crazy so young. My Kindergartener (last year) didn't even want to sit by a girl. That will change all too soon.

waldo and cay said...

This is just practice for later....sounds like you're handling it pretty well!

Related Posts with Thumbnails