Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Almost Waving. Also, William Wallace is kicking Che's A$$.

Whatchu Talking About Willis? (Too soon?)

I heard a story, once, about a man who was waving at the beach, from where he was swimming in the ocean. Those on the beach waved back, thinking he was so friendly, and he waved back at them. This continued for a while, until the people on the beach got tired of waving back, started to grumble about how this dude just KEPT waving. Sheesh. Then the man disappears in the surf. Turns out he was not waving, but drowning. (I am sure it is more eloquent in the story. And then a boy throws a starfish onto some footprints or something.)

This story has always stuck with me, because the phrase "Not waving--drowning" has exemplified my struggles with clinical depression. I put on a good face--W calls it my Game Face--and can smile and fake it with the best of them, but ultimately I am just drowning, hoping someone will notice and come save me. Because I am almost completely incapable of not waving, of calling out, of asking to be saved.


And these past two weeks have been so full of people wanting to save me, to help me, to lighten my load, that I have been rendered motionless, lest I burst into tears at every moment.

When faced with trials, I am pretty good at not asking "why me?" but, rather, "what do I need to learn?" And I am gobsmacked by the realization that I need to learn to accept help. These are my top four phobias:
  • Asking for help
  • Asking for directions
  • Answering the phone
  • Down escalators
So you can imagine the level of discomfort I have been facing the past two weeks. Because not only have I had to be helped, people wanted to CALL ME TO TELL ME THEY WERE HELPING ME.

My little Cosby Kid.

It is only because I am too sore to go to the mall and ride an escalator that I have been saved from a complete emotional collapse.

But I feel like I am coming out of it--this haze, this feeling of struggling against the waves that want to pull me under. I even returned a phone call today. (Just one. Don't get your hopes up.)
And I wanted to thank you for your prayers and your thoughts and your concerns. I can feel them. And I need them. WE need them, W and Jooj, and The Dude and I. (Still trying out nicknames. Nothing seems to stick yet. Maybe when he is home?)

He is off of the bili mat, out of an isolette, regulating his own temp, and getting bigger every day. His poops are legendary around the NICU. He still needs to finish his bottles but, as W puts it, "If there was a way I could sleep and eat at the same time, I would totally do that too." So maybe it is a genetic sort of laziness. And he is still blond. Hence the reference with the dollar signs in the title. (So there is hope for you, Carolyn, that Stew will never show up in your children.)

I love you guys. And I hate pumping.
And I still am not answering the phone. But thanks for calling anyway. It makes a difference to this one.

15 comments:

~j. said...

I love that Buster.

Kalli said...

I love you back. And pumping is akin to mid-evil torture. I'm convinced.

Mrs. O said...

He is so cute and doing so well! Lots of love and virtual phone calling from this little corner of the internet to yours.

dastew said...

I love you guys. I love that you don't answer the phone, though I sometimes call and hangup just so you know it will keep working. I love that you are able to take a dig at my non-propogating genetics in the midst of a deeply personal blogpost. I love that your blog's background reminds me of the pajamas C made me. I love the Dude and Jooj and Rocket J. Dog and Smokey J. Dog. I love that Waldo thinks that his hobbit brother is unreconstructed pinko-commie. And most of all I love that you guys are frank and honest people who don't take no crap from anyone.

Anne-Marie said...

Just wanted you to know that I am thinking of you and praying for you, your sweet boy and your family. He is adorable! Congratulations! (hate pumping too)

b. said...

Have you tried putting your b00bz in the blue things I sent you?

I do think about you and your little family throughout the day.

The little peanut looks like he is doing very well!

LuckyRedHen said...

Hogs and squeezies for you and the whole fam! I think you're amazing, little mister is amazing, Waldo is *ahem* amazing and that Jooj, ugh, she and her personality are amazing! Amazings all 'round! XoxO

P.S. I won't call (or maybe I will), but something WILL be coming in the mail... eventually. Stupid lady hasn't shipped it to me yet. Stupid lady. But it's perfection. Absolutely. And a little amazing.

Anonymous said...

much love to you and yours.

Bebe McGooch said...

I've been the worst at keeping up on blogs (and Twitter and Facebook and email, the internet in general) so I had no idea this little miracle had made his grand entrance already.

Bless you and yours, and you will all be in our prayers.

adriennep said...

Me too, I saw on facebook that he was born but didn't do the proper math to realize he was born so early and that things were so super hard right now. I'm sorry! He looks adorable. I hate answering the phone too, and returning calls. What gives with that? You are funny even in the middle of all of this, that has to get you all kinds of points somewhere where they're keeping track of this stuff. Sending prayers and throwing starfish into the ocean! (Here's where I also share the story of the most awkward talk in sacrament meeting history in which the speaker changed the footprints poem into "Buttprints" since he felt he had been knocked on his butt a lot. Hoo boy.)

wendysue said...

Oh, man, I hope that "Buttprints" comment made you crack a smile. . .wow. That deserves a whole copy made by someone on etsy or something.

Lots of love and prayers for you and your little dude.

jungleprincess said...

Congrats on your cute little guy! Hope you can have him home soon. You guys are in my prayers.

I have a hard time with nicknames too--I'm still calling mine "bebi."

waldo and cay said...

Hey Jen, pumping is better than NOT pumping! I still have the stretch marks from when I didn't know how to pump.....a very uncomfortable time in my life!

dalene said...

love you. love that sweet boy. and, for the record, it means the world to me that you would reach out to me here, in the middle of my stuff, even though you were there, in the middle of your stuff.

hugs--

Cindy Adams said...

I loved reading your blog. You are amazing and this is the only blog ever that can make me laugh and cry at the same time. We love you. Your baby boy is adorable and G cracks me up.

Related Posts with Thumbnails