Monday, May 03, 2010

Wherein W Missed a Crowning Achievement Because He was at Home Getting My Lesson that I Forgot to Bring Because I Have Pregnant Brain


Jooj bore her testimony in church yesterday. It was a total surprise. And completely unencouraged.

For the record, I hate it when kids bear their testimonies in Sacrament Meeting. I know, you probably love it, but I don't. It stirs up all sorts of anger and irritation and issues in me. All of which, I'm going to tell you 'bout, right now!

I don't think the kids know what they are saying.
It sounds brainwashy.
It sounds manipulative.
I don't think it is cute.
If your mom or dad has to tell you what to say, it is not a testimony.
I don't like the sound of breathing in the microphone.
I believe it to often be more about a desire to receive public praise from adults and family members than about a sincere desire to state the love of God and the knowledge of His true church.

~J and I have talked at length about how I hate this. She has told me that, in her family, when the kids decide they want to say their testimonies they start practicing at home. They learn what a testimony is, what they can say, and what they cannot say. They are encouraged to practice during Primary. They know that mom is not going to accompany them to the pulpit and whisper in their ears; they will be on their own. They are not going to get a reward for venturing to the front of the room and breathing in the microphone. I had absolutely planned on doing this one day. Because she is only five. She has had zero interest in this. She is only five.

And then, yesterday, after watching the parade of children, coached by their parents, saying the exact litany of phrases as the first child, she announced to me that she wanted to do it, too.

I told her no.*

And someone whispered inside of me "Wait, let her try."

Hurriedly I asked her what she wanted to say. She told me three sentences.

I told her I was not going up there with her. She said that was just fine.

I asked her what she was going to say again--she repeated her previous three sentences, but with more irritation and an eye roll.**

I moved aside.

She marched up. Marched. Stood at the podium and in a clear, sweet voice said

"I know the church is true. I know Jesus loves me. I know he watches over me. In Jesus' name, amen."

Then she marched back down to our pew and resumed coloring.

And--here is the thing--I know she knows that. It wasn't manipulative or brainwashy. I know she actually knows those things. Within her limited experience and frame of reference, she knows that the church is true. She has had numerous experiences where she has learned beyond a shadow of a doubt that Jesus loves her, and she knows that He watches over her. She knows that. It is a part of her life. And she recognizes that she knows those truths. She was able to pick out three things that she knows, process them, and express them to the entire congregation without coaching or fear. Just some marching. Somewhere in my youth or childhood, I must have done something good. Because she knows those things. And I know that she knows.

And something inside of my ice-cold, child-hating heart melted a little.

Don't get me wrong, I still hate it when kids bear their testimonies in sacrament meeting. But I hate it a tiny*** bit less.





*This is the same child that was not allowed (by me) to participate in the Primary Program last year because she refused to say her part without exclaiming "Boobies!" at the end. And I will not be that family.

**It is to her great luck that the first time she rolled her eyes at me we were in a public place in a state where I didn't know the child abuse laws; I was unaware as to what would get me reported to the authorities and so did not throw her through a window, as was my first inclination. Now I have gotten used to it and she is safe in her sass. Also, I have no idea where she learned to do it. Cram it, W.

*** 1/100000000000

19 comments:

Kalli said...

in this ward we're in, well not anymore, it's like a parade of midget mimes every Sunday and I HATE IT!!


But for Joojy I would have smiled.

wendysue said...

Now if she would have ended it with a cartwheel it would have been perfect!

I'm so with you on the "seems like brainwashing. . .whisper it in your ear. . .rewarded" stuff.

We have our own testimony meeting at home.

cabesh said...

I love Jooj. I bet her testimony was more powerful than half of the adults' testimonies.

And I'm not a fan of child testimonies either. We give our kids the opportunity to share their testimonies at the end of each family home evening. We talk a lot bout what is and isn't a testimony.

J Cubed said...

You said exactly what I always think. Glad someone on the inside feels the same....I do start to wonder. I am glad she is a confident young girl. Good job. Send GG to me for a few days. She has an Aunt willing and ready to entertain her. ox

Snarky Belle said...

This could be my favorite post of yours. Ever.

And not that it's important, but I am so with you on kid testimonies.

b. said...

Hers is the kind of testimony I can get behind.
I'm totally with you on (other) kid "testimonies". Our Bishop even told parents in our ward to not encourage it--that they should do it in Primary. We are back to at least 3/4 of the meeting being kids.

Tell W I missed Oldest's testimony bearing yesterday.

Sister Pottymouth said...

Since I don't want any angel deaths on my conscience, I'll leave a comment.

Yes, to all of it. We don't get too many kids doing that in our ward, but those who do tend to get the (internal) eye roll and (again, internal) cringe from me. Unless it is completely heartfelt, unprompted, and not puppet-like. Can you guys move into our ward?

Heavy breathers get the full-body cringe from me. Nothing hidden. We do not need to encourage that type of behavior at any time, and especially not in church.

Carina said...

I like anything that derails the program.

adriennep said...

Awesome. I know it's been said, but ditto. I have to think, if so many people squirm when the kids take to the mike, why it keeps happening? The ward I'm in now RARELY has kids get up, and that is, I was going to say fantastic, but now I'm changing it to "appropriate." But, people can tell when it's heartfelt and when it comes from the kids rather than the parents. That's when it's particularly special. So, hooray for Jooj!

Bek said...

Our ward never has kids get up. Occasionally an older primary child does (last week my 9 year old did-- it was a suprised to us). I forgot that happens in other wards.

Good job GG. She is one of a kind for sure. She is going to mother that baby to death. I can't wait for the stories!

Emily said...

You are very funny! I think what irritates me the most is when parents get up and say, "I told my son/daughter that if they got up and bore testimony than I would too, so I guess I'd BETTER get up here." Right.

Kayt Ludi said...

That is SO SWEET it actually melts my own cold child-hating heart (I have also always DETESTED the child-testimony phenomenon). :)

Geo said...

Every line of this post makes me want to whoop an' holler "Hallelujah!"

Geo said...

P.S. Boobies!

Bunsies said...

I, too, hate children's (coaxed, coached) testimonies. But I love independent, heartflet, innocent testimonies. This was wonderful.

Mrs. Potts said...

I found you from the awesome comment you left on Azucar's polygamy post, and woman, you're hilarious.

Anyway, I seem to remember our bishop reading a letter from the first presidency way back when, saying that children should not bear their testimonies in sacrament meeting until after they have been baptized. Is that just my imagination? Or another one of the crazy Mormon urban legends I picked up at BYU? But I'm totally with you. No breathing into the microphone, please.

Mindy Gledhill said...

This. THIS is why I love you.

Semi Granola Mom said...

I am sorry, I think it is sad that there are so many out there who hate child testimonies. I would rather hear a brainwashy child ( which for the record, that is just a hurtful way to think of it, do we not repeat other things in the church i.e. sac prayer, auxiliary themes, dedicatory prayer, articles of faith, scripture masteries, temple ceremonies... so why would you hate that a child is repeating what they hear " I know the church is true, I know Jesus lives...etc... really???) than hear adults go on and on about a stupid story that finally gets to a point 30 freaking minutes later.

Really? I can't give a direct quote, but our relief society message was on prayer, and one of the general authorities said that we should encourage children to pray even if it is the same prayer every night, or if they pray for off the wall things, they are communing with Heavenly Father, do you think He cares that they say the same thing, do adults not do this on occassion? NO, He is filled with JOY that children want to pray and that they do. Same thing with testimony bearing, let them find the desire now, why in the world would you discourage that?

ps, I hate how people get rewarded though, we agree there, I don't know who does it but some old guy in our ward gives kids a freaking dollar if they bear their testimony, and that is seriously sad.


~C

Vintage April said...

Jen
You WIN!!! It doesn't get better than that.
She knows,what else is there?

Related Posts with Thumbnails