Thursday, September 17, 2009

The dog ate my homework...

Yikes, I am behind. I will never get a 4.0 with this kind of effort...

Assignment:
~ Someone found your blog and emailed you saying they're visiting the city where you grew up. Write an itinerary for a one-day tour of your hometown. Prompt: "When you're there, you can't miss____. There's a great view from____. My favorite place for lunch is_____, and the kids would love____."


Some of the best advice I have ever been given comes from Abuelita. When she came to America there was a period of time where she moved a lot. A Lot. Once, when I was feeling like it was futile to create a home she told me that I needed to always unpack. Every box. Even if I was going to repack a few months later. Because every person needs a home. There is a Billy Joel song with lyrics that say "I need you in my life because you are my home." And that is what I try to remember when I hear that we are moving again, that we can't go places for holidays, and when I feel like a resident alien in my own life. My family is my home. My house is my home. Wherever we are, we are home because we are together.

I haven't lived in my home town for fifteen years, and when I return I feel more like a visitor than a resident. And I have been away from my second home for five, and find myself missing out on all sorts of important developments that a permanent citizen would know all about. I live in EP, but certainly don't know enough about the city to make more than a few cursory recommendations (always get tamales from the trunk of some old lady's car). But I have a home. And you are welcome to visit it anytime you want. I promise it will be unpacked. And there will be a bed for you. And I will make some waffles. And (if you are lucky) we can have trunk tamales.

Want to get in on the schooling? Check it out here!

7 comments:

Kalli said...

oh hell, I need to complete this assignment because it would be hilarious.

Kalli said...

because who lived in Wyoming?

me.

me me me.

one stoplight and our mascot was a buffalo

sad.but.true.

Mrs. O said...

Dude! I love waffles.

soybeanlover said...

I want some waffles too!

Travelin'Oma said...

This is great advice! (Homework is never late in my class.)

undefined said...

I know the feeling -- sometimes I'm surprised to realize we've lived in the same house for more than a year. Also, while the waffles would be most welcome, I would give my pinky finger for tamales from a trunk. The next time we make it to EP (there is always a next time for us) I'm totally calling you.

Rynell said...

I've moved a lot too and this totally resonates with me. Good advice.

Related Posts with Thumbnails