A while back Shannon did an alphabet meme and tagged me.
I have mixed thoughts about things like this:
*What does "meme" mean and why? It sounds lame.
*I am so glad someone was thinking of me to tag me!
*Frickety, I hate doing these things.
So I am embarking. But because I am too lazy to copy the clues from the last one, and because I think that it will take me more than the minuscule space of free time I get when a two-year-old deconstructs a sandwich, I am doing it my way. And no one is getting tagged, even though I am thinking of you.
A is for: Amazing Race and Adoption.
I love me the Amazing Race. When they announced they were doing an All-Star edition I lost two drops of pee. Mirna and Schmirna! Kentucky! Beauty Queens! Sneaky old gay guys! It is like God has decided that Sabbath-day TV is must-see.
I was very interested to see a previous couple, Joyce and Uchenna, because I had seen her appear on "How Do I Look" with Finola Hughes, who I think is kicky. (Joyce needed a makeover because she wanted to get back into acting. **I am not going to use this space to comment on how she looks like a goldfish with ADD, and no one wants to see that on TV all day, because it is her dream.** Apparently her million dollars did not translate into being able to spend her own money on clothes and a hair cut; I recall her defending herself by saying that "after taxes and bills, a million dollars is just not a lot of money.")
Anyhoo, I was interested, because the impetus for their racing the first time had been to earn money for fertility treatments. Turns out, they were not all that fertile, and their NEW impetus for racing is to mend their relationship because their marriage is dicey due to the infertility.
And here is where I start to offend people that don't know me, and here is where I don't care:
Attention infertile people, especially those on AR All Stars:
1. If your marriage is so weak that you can't stand the heartbreak of infertility together, that you can't appreciate a million dollars together, that you can't overcome these trials as a couple, then your marriage is too weak for you to be bringing children into it. Kids do NOT make a marriage stronger or better. Sure, there are some new shared experiences that may further bond your couple-ness, ("Honey, I don't want to keep her when she is screaming like Grizzly Man." "Me neither, dear.") Yes, is may be YOUR dream to have a big family, but I guarantee that it is not your child's dream to be pressured to glue her parents back together. Suck it up, get some counseling, and figure out how to make things better before you get basted.
2. Um, why does your child have to come from your belly? Do you know how many children you can adopt with infertility money? Uchenna and Joyce--do you know how many African-American kids there are in the US fost-adopt system? They don't all have to be from China or Malawi or wherever is cool, right now. Having a family is about bringing love into your home. I understand that situations are different and everything. But if having a child is the most important thing in your life, it would make sense not to blame your eggs for your unhappiness. Suck it up.
I initially rooted for these two on their first race. Now I hope that they lose.
Which brings me to
B is for Boston Rob and Amber. Media Whores. And I love them for it. I think that they should be on EVERY season.
Thursday, February 22, 2007
Apples and Bananas
Labels: adoption, stupid alphabet meme
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
I can't STAND Rob and Amber. I want to punch him. And her.
Your kind Nayvor is holding onto the season premiere for me since I am a space cadet and forgot to set the DVR. A whole 'nother season of Mirna and whatsherface pleases me to no end.
"Rapidoo! Rapidoo! Mooy mazz rapidoo dolorayzz! Dolorayzz!"
Don't hate me because I tivo'd the marathon of Rob and Amber Against the Odds show... they are shameless in self-promotion... but like a car wreck I can't help but watch. The whole time I'm like...she can't really be that dull can she? And... she can't really put up with his ego can he?
Fav line though..."You're a reality show start...not brad pitt - get over yourself." (Amber to Rob in Vegas as he pursues a dream of being a pro poker player)
I rooted for Uchenna and Joyce too... now they're just annoying!
"...it's a race... I hope I win."
I too am a closet Rob and Amber fan (is that the right word?) It is so painful to watch his cockiness and her dullness(right on Queen), but I have to watch.
Can't wait for the next season!
(I love the faces Finola makes to the camera)
I was so glad that Dish did a fox reality freebie and I caught the "Against the Odds" series. . .cheesebally, but I couldn't turn away either Queen!
My fav AR team? Team CHA CHA! (although they don't want to be called that anymore. . .whatever!)
I loved the comment about opening a salon when they were going to clip the horses "nails". . .and I totally remember them on their first season stopping during the race for a latte and shopping and they still beat the other teams!
I am so with you on every bit of this! I am rooting for Rob and Amber too!
A little fissure in Team Rob & Amber? I was surprised when Amber called him out on the line jump.
I honestly have no idea what any of you are talking about. I'm guessing it's a tv show that isn't Law and Order, which I'm surprised because I didn't think there were any non-L&O shows out there.
By the way La Yen, any word on the next transfer? We're still praying for you to come to Fort Drum.
Love you're new pic...and mr.page ;-)
I CAN'T BELIEVE TONIGHT'S EPISODE.
Post a Comment