When I was in high school I would think about how, if I could time-travel, I would love to go back to the forties and fifties and purchase Givenchy and Chanel, and stock up on all of my fashion needs.
When I was newly married I would think about how, if I could time-travel, I would love to go back to the forties and fifties and purchase land and land and land and land and have my own wilderness which I would then sell to Walt Disney for a kajillion dollars.
Yesterday I thought about how, if I could time-travel, I would love to go back to the forties and fifties and be able to leave my kid asleep in the car for TWO minutes so that I could run into the UPS store to drop off a package without being a bad mommy.
Saturday, December 16, 2006
The Aging of a Daydream
Labels: gruntled
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
Me too! Sometimes the errands I run...are all dependent on how much I really want to get down ...and if it's worth the strapping in and strapping out of car seats.
AMEN. Yes, yes, there are horrible stories out there, but honestly, sometimes kids will be just fine when left in the car on a NOT hot day. I don't know that I'd leave them with a valet, but to run into UPS, love to.
Do you remember growing up when you could be left alone in the car while your mom went grocery shopping? Locked all the doors and listened to the radio? Those were the days, my friend, those were the days.
Amen and AAAAAAAAMEN!
Loudly and clearly.
DId that lady leaving her kid with the valet (and taking her dog with her) make national news? That is so crazy Scottsdale rich lady lunatic, it's not even funny.
I do leave my kids in the car when I can park right in front of the store and I can see them through the window and I will be gone for literally two minutes. E.g. Little Caesar's Pizza. However, it is kind of scary to admit that because people go to jail all the time in Arizona for leaving their kids in the car. A bunch of kids die every summer. So sad!!
I almost got busted once for leaving older kids in the car--you know, with supervision--on some nondescript day when the temperature was just fine and everyone was just fine but the busybodies making trouble about my kids in the car.
I remember the day when I didn't ever wear a seatbelt till I was like 22 and we used to drive yearly from Oregon to Utah and back while lying the back of a station wagon looking at the stars.
We could also eat raw cookie dough and make our own eggnog back then. Those were the days.
Confession: I leave the kids in the car, with the DVD player on if I can see them out the store window and it'll be less than 10 minutes. I leave the car on (yes, key in the ignition because they can't get out of their car seats on their own), and take the keyless entry with me so that they're locked in there. The back windows are tinted, so I don't think anyone can tell.
I, too was wishing for the non-car seat days yesterday. After a few hours in the car, my carsick one year old threw up all over himself and had to sit for a few more hours in it (cleaned it up as best I could on the side of the road) till we got to our destination. Yep, I really wished for the days when I could hold my baby on my lap and comfort his sick little self.
Ahhh, the memories. My family once drove to California with my sister and I in the back of a small pickup with the cover on it. My dad even rigged up an intercom system to we could talk to them up front.
I miss cookie dough and cake batter.
And I was totally wit cha on the whole car thing until this morning (I am not kidding), I read this.
http://www.rd.com/content/openContent.do?contentId=29587
That's why you LOCK your car if your kids are inside.
Post a Comment