How are you doing with your divinity?
As I have been working on memorizing that quote, I keep having a song by the Laurie Berkner Band run through my head. It is a peppy little march, and the lyrics are as follows:
I’m not perfect
No, I’m not
I’m not perfect
But I’ve got what I’ve got!
I’ll do my very best
Do my very best
Do my very best each day!
No, I’m not perfect,
But you know, I like me that way!
The part I have been focusing on is the “But I’ve got what I’ve got” bit. It reminded me that I used to not have a problem with not being able to do everything for everyone. I didn’t used to be so needy and grasping; I used to feel confident.
And then I got it onto my head that I needed to become a better woman.
My philosophy used to be very capitalistic. (Am I using the right, Azucar? We all know that the only way I passed econ was with the tremendous curve—I got a D on the final and a B in the class...) I firmly believed that there was a need for people, like me, who could not do everything. I can’t quilt, for example, but I can buy quilts from those who can. I can’t dance, but I can enjoy watching performances. I didn’t feel bad at all about my cant’s—I saw myself as a much needed part of the system. Then, when we first moved with Army, I had the rug pulled out from under me—no support system. No school, no friends, one slightly dying car, and a ward where I was one of two childless women. I was called into the RS presidency, where I felt completely out of place, and got this overwhelming need to start baking bread and wearing jumpers. I quit my job in management so that I could be home to be a better church member, and started trying to be that woman. It was awful. I had what I had, but I felt like I didn’t have anything at all.
And I’ve been trying to recover ever since.
When I have a job, it is easier, because I get that instant feedback—bosses buying lunch, people telling me I am invaluable. I have something tangible to contribute and don’t need to prove myself as often. Staying at home, although I know it is the right decision for my family, sometimes feels like the wrong decision for ME.
But I just remembered that I’ve got what I’ve got.
My assignment #2 for myself is to make a list of guys I’ve got. So that I can go back to being me again. I shall explain:
Out here, everyone has “a guy.” I don’t know if it is the same everywhere, but it probably is. We currently have a yard guy, a computer guy, and a movie guy. Not people that are our laborers, or anything, but people that we can call when we need advice or help with a project. We used to have a car guy, but he just moved. When others question how we did something, we say “Oh, I have a great guy. I will give you his number.” Eventually we would like to have more guys, so that we can rely on others more, and have a better house.
I am going to adopt this philosophy for myself for this assignment—I can be my own guy for lots of things, but I need guys for everything else. Another way to think of it is in terms of management—I never hire people who are just like me, because then nothing that I can’t do will ever get done. I hire people who compliment me, so that as a tema we are complete.
So, here are some things I can be my guy for—and you can call on me if you need a guy for this, too:
1. I am a great teacher. I can teach anything to anyone. (Except for driving. I am far to stressed to teach driving. You would need to get a driving teacher guy.)
2. I write an amazing research paper. I can be the research guy.
3. I make some delicious Cuban food. I can be the dinner guy.
4. I am an amazing gift giver. (I know that we mock this, but I have to own it.) You need a gift that will be perfect? I am the guy.
5. I am the master spreadsheet guy.
I am not the cleaning guy, the organizing guy, the cake making guy, the decorating guy, the finance guy, the math guy, the computer guy, the picture guy, the quilt guy, the crafty guy, the creative writing guy, the babysitting guy, the parenting guy, or the gardening guy. So I am going to find guys for that.
This is not to say that I can’t learn to be those guys, but I don’t have to. It is just fine to not. I’ve got what I’ve got, and I will do my very best.
Thursday, July 06, 2006
Assignment 2
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

14 comments:
Now I wish you were the guy next door. I need a combo of your teaching guy and your master shreadsheet guy ASAP. (I have to be most excellent at Excel in less than one month.)
In exchange--were I closer to El Paso--I could offer you my homemade ice cream guy and/or my sour cream lemon pie guy. I'm no good for anything practical, but when life gives you lemons...
Love this. You are also a good post writing guy.
Sure, you can use it that way: you are a consumer and a producer of products.
Here's how I am: I am the good at lots of things guy. I need to be the focus and followthrough guy.
I'll take you up on your #4 (buying gifts for people stresses me out too much). In exchange, I can be the cleaning and organizing guy. It's an unhealthy obsession of mine.
I don't know what guy I am. But I sure like that Laurie Berkner. Suzie has a cow on her head.
I wish fewer people would keep perpetuating the idea that people have to be 'that lady' to be of any value in the church.
Everytime I find myself wanting more I pray to have better stewardship over what I've already got.
ps - you're invaluable. can i take you to lunch?
I am the "what should I watch on tv" guy, the "living on a budget" guy and the "declutter" guy. . . desperately SEEKING "money-making" guy, "rasing four kids without swearing" guy, and "home improvement" guy.
I can be the People Magazine Trivia guy. Need to know what celebrity had a baby and when? I am you GUY!!!
I am kind of a picture guy and adoption guy....
BTW...things are brewing for Stay ALive. Getting back from Africa was enlightening...I now see how the committee works and I now how a focus on what to do. We are hiring a new director so this will start working like a business. I am no longer spinning my wheels so get ready GUY!!! I have a few fun things in line (including a few more..possibly--most likely paid--trips to Africa in the next few years). Tour guide to rich people, anyone? Can you be THAT guy?
P.S. YOu are awesome!!
Are you going to be in Oota for LDSFS thingy? I may be out there that week.....not for the conference but just to visit....
I love this post, and ALL the comments so much. I could honestly use all of you since my list of guys I'm NOT is a mile long.
As for what guy I am -- I couldn't contain myself to a comment and so I made my own blog entry about it.
What Kind of Guy Am I?
Oooh! I just thought of it: I'm the "When's their birthday?" guy. I'm still trying to think of others...
I love this concept. I struggle so much with the idea that I cannot be (and should not be) all things to all people. Maybe I need to blog about this as well. Thanks!
Thanks, sundry guys!
CW--excel is super easy. Just get the basics down and then master the "graph and chart" function--people will think you are much better at it than you are.
Sugar--I am with you on the follow through guy. It is why I have never finished a cross stitch.
~J--I hate making that tildae. The key is awkward and out of my reach. You are the radio winning guy, the tortilla soup guy, the calm mommy guy, the hospitality guy, the keeping in touch with family members you barely know guy, and the guy who makes me feel good that I am going to have someone to share a couch in hell with.
This is me--I will pay you in presents to clean my house.
LVC--I have one child who thinks her middle name is "freaking" so I am not the guy for you. But I heard that there is this great money making program--maybe I can come to your house and share it with you and your husband. It is an inverted triangle system.
Bek--you know I will be whatever guy you need. You are my baby clothes handmedown guy.
Kayt--you are the hillbilly authority guy. And I loved your post.
Glass--welcome! I am glad you are enjoying it. Hope you are working on becoming a little more divine.
~J again--I want Cafe Rio. I want it bad. Or steack and a virgin Lucky V.
I mean steak.
You're nice. Coming up here any time soon?
Your posts are the best!
I must say, however, that I'm having issues with the whole "the guy" thing. I'm really not your guy for anything. I'm mediocre at a ton of things. Perfectionist brain makes me think that because I'm not "the guy" for anything that I am not good enough. This post prompted me to work on this issue for my divinity. As always, thanks for an inspiring read.
Post a Comment