I have decided that I am going to start an urban legend. I want to be the one who had a cousin who had a friend who had a neighbor.
So, I have been trying to come up with a good one--I know that it needs the following:
1. A punchline ("The hook was still there..." "That's not a chihuahua! It's a SEWER RAT!")
2. To tap into people's already existing fears/pre-conceived notions. ("Welcome to the wonderful world of AIDS")
3. To make something benign seem possibly terrifying ("Everytime he came up to kill you, I flashed my headlights and he ducked down again!")
Any suggestions?
Monday, March 13, 2006
Aren't you glad you didn't turn on the lights?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Okay, that one about the headlights...I could have sworn that I read that as a story in Reader's Digest when I was in high school (THAT'S OUTRAGEOUS!).
Yes. I read Reader's Digest in high school.
Please include something about a ribbon around her neck.
"The Juicer turned on again and we could hear it whirring away in the kitchen."
"It wasn't just that the pencil moved of its own volition, it was the way it moved, as if it knew the direction of the black valise."
"Slowly, the pounding of the clock drove the wedge deeper."
"She knew before she opened the can of Semi-Gloss Interior Latex that it would be the red of the summoning."
"Carefully he approached the doorknob, hoping to silence it before the others heard its singular locking mechanism ring into the frosty air."
OOOH Carina, now I have the major ebbejeebies!!
"And then, after he pulled me from the raging river, he disappeared. I'm sure it was one of the 3 Nephites." -- tons of fun mormon lore.
Post a Comment