Saturday, March 17, 2012

After the baby came home

The past four months have been rough at my home. In my home. In my skin. In my soul.

Let me preface this by saying that I don't want to over share, but I also feel compelled to be honest. To make sure I am not making too little out of my experience, because I want a record of how I have survived. And it is no hyperbole to use the term "survive."

Honest: Once Jojo came home I shut down. I stopped getting out of bed, going downstairs, talking, thinking, eating. Buster was my reason for functioning at all, the only light in my life.

Honest: I didn't feel anything at all for my new baby, once the adrenaline wore off and he was safe at home. I seriously debated giving him up for adoption, because it was not fair to him to grow up in a home with a mother who did not feel anything for her son. I had the conversation with my husband in all seriousness. I felt relief at the idea.

Honest: I made a list of things that would need to happen in order for me to feel comfortable with killing myself. I made a tentative plan.

Honest: I knew that these thoughts were not right, but I could not escape them, not even in sleep--which I did a lot. A LOT.

Honest: I didn't tell anyone about this. Not anyone. Not even W, not the bad stuff. Not until I started to feel a little braver and better. Because you know what is worse than the fear of being crazy? Knowing that you are crazy. And truly believing that no one will be able to help. There is a difference between "baby blues" and postpartum depression. Every time the doctors asked me about how I was doing, I didn't just gloss over what was going on, I flat-out lied.

I have been writing this post in my head for three months. Off and on. Every time I would get a minute of peace, I would start composing this mentally.

I never expected to actually be in a place where I would send the words to my fingertips to my keyboard. I never expected to get here. I honestly don't expect to stay here, I feel a jinxy nervousness admitting it. I still don't have all the words I need, but I will keep typing until I have to stop. Pretty sure that the stopping will hit me hard.

It has been almost four months. And I still feel the waves of depression. But I started to love the baby last month. And I got out of bed full-time about six weeks ago. And I have a new mantra:

"Depression is a liar. Nothing depression says is true. Never believe what it tells you."

19 comments:

dastew said...

We love you Jen.

That's Ms. Amy to You... said...

I love you and I don't even know you IRL. Thank you for being honest.

Anonymous said...

Very brave. I don't know you, I just have you in my Reader because I enjoy your humor & honesty. I've had a taste of this experience (when my first was born, 13 yrs ago). You're right about the crazy and people understanding, but you gotta give them the chance. You got a good mantra there. You'll be OK. As a veteran of this, some advice: walks in the sunshine, moonshine, with a friend, or by yourself & God...and walk with chocolate in your hand. Trust me, chocolate & exercise help.

Guileless Mom said...

Hugs. Love your mantra.

QueenScarlett said...

You are truly one of my favorite spiritual guides. We need to hangout already so I can squeeze the crap out of you in a giant hug. I love your guts.
Praying for you.

Alissa said...

I have felt what you are describing. I can honestly say that I remember almost nothing of my second daughter's first year of life. My husband will say, "Don't you remember the way that..." about Anna as a baby. I have to honestly admit I don't. I have blacked it out.

I also love you. I am desperately sad that you were feeling those things and I didn't know.

My love to you.

Sherry said...

I don't know you in real life, but I've thought of you and missed your posts over the last few months - sincerely, I have.

Carina said...

Depression is an ugly liar and you are a beautiful person.

Jenny @ Like Swimming said...

If I could punch your depression in the nads, I totally would.

~j. said...

I love you, you know?

Kalli said...

Depression sounds like a real bitch. Keep fighting the good fight and I would cross stitch that onto a pillow if I knew how to do that sort of thing.

Thanks for being my hero.

x to the o

La Yen said...

Thanks for all of your kind words--they help me more than you know. Thank you, my friends.

Mrs. O said...

Depression is a lying liar - so true. The hardest thing is remembering that when it is relentlessly pounding your soul. It is a merciless foe, and also why I won't ever be testing for my thyroid cancer again. It chemically depresses me for a minimum of 3 months, and I'd rather die at 75 than endure another 3-4 months of that.

I'm so glad you are getting the upper hand on this, saying (typing) these feelings out loud is so important. Depression is a bully and doesn't want you to get any help, because then it has to leave. Depression is a scummy, free-loading jerk.

PS You are the best, and I admire you.

soybeanlover said...

We'll put our cheer leading squad on full force for you. So, when everyone else is asleep, we're still awake and sending you good vibes.

Gerb said...

I have a million things I want to say here. I read this the other day and now I've come back and I still can't put my thoughts down quite right. SO let me just say instead (because it's all true) that I love reading what you write because you are so honest. Thank you! And also that I think we would be great real life friends if we actually knew each other in real life.

Wife of dastew said...

I hate that depression got to you so bad. It can be really really hard to have to admit that you can't be wonder woman all the time, but I like to think that even wonder woman loses it sometimes and wants to punch a wall. And I bet when she punches a wall, she really punches a wall.

Jocelyn Christensen said...

You final quote couldn't be more true. Keep fighting.

Anne-Marie said...

You are a fighter and your humor & wit & just general awesomeness are your weapons. Thank you, thank you for your honesty. Depression feels so incredibly lonely & I am seriously so grateful for candor like yours and other brave women. You are amazing and how I wish we were real life friends in EP. Because I likey you a-lot!!!

KT said...

I also don't know you in real life, but your blog is one of the few blogs I still read because you're honest and funny. Two qualities I appreciate above most else :). I love it when women are honest with their struggles. It helps those of us who are also struggling feel less alone. Thank you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails