Monday, August 31, 2009

School Days Seminar Assignment 1

Assignment for the day: Write a blog about why you have a blog

I am not good at making friends. Not even a little. Mostly I have W make friends for me, and then take over from there. My best friend is no exception. She and W went to EFY together, and she has the honorable distinction of being the only girl at the camp that did not make out with my husband-to-be, who was a notorious man-whore. I think God knew that I needed her more than his lips did.

We met randomly, when he introduced me to her at UVCC/SC/U as she happened to pass by. We were in the dining hall, which was the only place he frequented during his first year there. I was visiting from The Lord's University (slumming) as the introductions were made. I didn't think too much about it.

Then, randomly (but not really, I think) she and her husband moved in next door. And after a few weeks I left my husband for her. And her Hawaiian Haystacks.

Later, after I moved from West Pro to EP she sent an email saying that she had started a blog. So I started one, too, because I thought hers was awesome. And I am a copier ALL THE WAY.

And from there, ran into another friend from college that W made for me. And another friend that ~J made for me. And another. And another. More and more and more and more and more friends. More than I have ever had.

And I found myself surrounded by these women on the internet. And when I visit I am surrounded by these women in person. And I love them more than most things in my life. And I want them to love me. And know about me. And that is why I have a blog.

Also, because I sometimes like to post letters to children's characters. (Stay tuned for that collaborative gem...)

12 comments:

Kalli said...

Me, ME, oooh ME I'm on the list!!! I love being your friend and will surround you (in a non-lesbian lover way) anytime you come to town or by some weird cosmic turn of events I end up in the EP.

My favorite friends are my internet ones. And that is no joke.

word verif: crackmou

b. said...

Total ditto what Kalli wrote. Because I have no original thought at this point in my day.

YAY! I'm blessed to be your friend and I loved you just as much in real life as I do here.

Yours was one of the first blogs I ever read...right after Scooterlounge (I read his because his wife and I are friends) I linked to you from him. (next I think was Lucky)

Anyway...I'm very happy you will be writing more.

Travelin'Oma said...

I used to have pen pals and now I have blogging friends. I think I know some of them better than I know my real friends! This is a tribute to the power of the blog.

QueenScarlett said...

You have no idea how much just being added in the "more" section is like winning a trophy... a trophy I will place on it's on hallowed shelf and dust every day.

Also... I have found that bloggy friends are just so much more... ya know?

dalene said...

whew! i am so relieved. if i wouldn't have been linked in there somewhere i would have been truly crushed. because you, my dear, are one of my favorites. besides, i knew when i first met you and heard the story about your notorious W (of course by the time i heard it the legend was ~j was the only girl in the greater metropolitan area of provo/orem) that we were destined to be friends. because i never made out w/ him either.

sue-donym said...

Not. At. All. Pissed. Off. Right. Now.

Word verification: poproch
(not like you deserve to know)

I'm dreaming up ways you can make it up to me.

La Yen said...

CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP.

Totally fixed.

But if it makes you feel better, I always wanted to be your friend, but I thought you were WAY too put-together and all that to even approach.

Please don't hurt me.

waldo and cay said...

somehow my new computer won't let me get into your blog--which I miss when I can't keep up with you adventures!
Thanks for the history of how you met Jen(although I never thought of my son in quite the way you described him!

La Yen said...

Oh, Cay Cay. I am sorry to have to let you in on the truth. Cachi kissed every girl with lips in a 400-mile radius until, um, 1995. Then he kissed me. I have managed to threaten him enough to keep him in line for the past while, though.

Don't take it too hard. Just chalk it up to the familial charisma. Or something.

~j. said...

this is awesome (and not just because it features moi). You have a way with words...which is why I so often rely upon you to tell me what I think about something. And clearly you're a better student than me (which, who knew?).

Haystacks, comin' up.

sue-donym said...

Forgiven.

And now that it's all cleared up may I say that this was a beautiful post.

~j the gatherer of friendships. Aren't we all lucky she pulled us together?

dalene said...

indeed.

Related Posts with Thumbnails