Is it okay to post about Family Traditions I want to start if those traditions do not involve
1. Heirloom anything
2. Organic anything
3. Mami exerting effort
4. Glossy, photo-shopped pics
5. Haikus, italicized fronts, or scrapbookety things?
Too bad. So sad. I will hand in my Mo Card.
Because I have decided that we are having a new Sundee tradition:
Take and bake pizza from Target.
After church I will buck my family heritage, will NOT make a roast with potatoes and homemade rolls and a tub of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, and will grab an Archer Farms Rising Crust Pizza out of the chest freezer. I will then place said pizza in the Advantium. Then I will read blogs. Then I will eat pizza. Then I will take a nap.
Are there any unholy traditions you want to get off of your chest?
Sunday, March 15, 2009
Wherein I No Longer Attempt to be Recognized as a Good Mormon Mother
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

15 comments:
One of my favorite things about my FIL was that he successfully convinced my MIL to not make elaborate Sunday meals. They would have TV dinners, frozen pizzas, or some prepackaged meal. He firmly believed that she needed to simplify her meal preparations on the Sabbath. It was AWESOME! I knew right then that I would never feel pressured to do the whole roast, potatoes, & rolls thing every Sunday. Yay for me!
My in-laws are some of the most holy, spiritual people I have ever known. You are in good company with your Archer Farms pizza.
I liked stopping for ice cream on our way home from church every Sunday. Or even better when my dad skipped priesthood and would go get a dozen donuts from Dunkin Donuts. Wife's family would go to Ponderossa.
I grew up on toasted cheese sandwiches (because that's what we call them in OR, not grilled cheese) and tomato soup. Every Sunday. Because it was quick and easy, and easily "re-made" for whomever had a meeting after church. And then we took naps (because church was always 10am-1pm), and then dinner was fend for yourself.
Awesome.
How about Fasting?
oh, wait....that's doctrine.
I'll think harder.
There's a card? Sheesh. I didn't know.
I'm serving dinner on paper plates because I am tired of doing the cooking and the cleaning and having it be my fault too that no one else helps out.
I'd tell you Dizzle's and my Sunday afternoon family tradition, but it would make me blush too much. Even on the internet.
We also usually have frozen pizza and ice cream for a late night Sunday supper (but that's after I cook the stupid roast-and-potatoes for lunch).
I don't understand the big dinner on Sunday... I am always ready for a nap on Sunday.
We come home... immediately change into pajamas.
Then we eat...we boil those spinach and cheese raviolis from Costco...sprinkle with olive oil and parmesean, and eat...the girls love it.
Then we nap. We nap even if it's 4:30pm when we finally go to bed.
Keep it simple...
I like it!...probably because that is kind of what I already do anyway. Thanks for validating me a little. I figure that if I have toddlers and anything (including dinner) gets in the way of my sunday afternoon nap, then something has to give. And it is definitely not going to be the nap.
We do the frozen Target pizza after church A LOT.
Or the Costco Taquitos. Or Quesadillas with pre-grated cheese when I feel fancy.
I don't really cook meals on Sundays.
I got to my mom's where they've cooked the big meal.
Normally J can guilt me into making something for him, but not on Sundays. Sorry. Day off. And then I nap.
I think we may have the same Sunday afternoon tradition as Fig.
Our other tradition is to have 007 make dinner on the weekends and holidays(time off for mommy!). Some days are "interesting" , but for the most part he does pretty good. Especially with Breakfast for dinner on Fast Sunday.
So with you on the no-cook Sundays. We've gotten into the habit of making a big Saturday soup that lasts the weekend. Bread, soup, and spring mix salad. Easy. Sundays are so much better now. I grew up in a big Sunday dinner family, and who gets to rest (let alone visit a la Fig) with that kind of hassle going on?
I was never issued a Mo card in the first place. Guess that says a lot.
we have tuna sandwiches for lunch. dinner is actually brinner with microwaved fully cooked sausage links, scrambled eggs and juice from a can. not quite as low maintenance as the pizza, but EASY.
Most of my traditions are probably considered unholy. Pretty certain my card was shredded years ago.
Sunday dinners = sandwiches at our house.
Or we do a potluck thing with family where we each bring a portion of the meal so no one has to cook much.
Or cereal. Cereal is good.
Post a Comment