Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Winners Don't Know About Cyborgs

I will let you in on a dirty little secret:
I am totally superior to W.

Now, I was not the coolest in high school--which is where cool is determined, you know--but I did not have an Afro. Or Birkenstocks. I may not have been cool, but I was not a geek. NOT A GEEK.

But since I married W, who DID have an Afro and Birkenstocks and lettered in choir (for the babes and the special brownies, he says), I have rocked myself to sleep at nights with the secure knowledge that in one area, I am better. I am not a geek.

But you know that prophesy? About the hearts of the wives turning to their geeky, geeky husbands?

It started with Buffy. I was all "Ew." And he was all "Hot vampires..." and you know I had to watch then. Because even the coolest among us love David Boreanz. Right?

And then, knowing my secret love of all things from the UK, he snuck in a little Doctor Who. With a Scotsman. Come on. No fair hiding the geek behind the Skinny Hot Brit. (Can I get a What What from Tiffany? No? Too soon?)

Next thing I knew, I was engaging in discussions about zombies and Hoth and agreeing to watch Battle Star Galactica. I used to be a debutante, I tell you! There is no reason for me to even know the relative merits of a Dalek vs. a Sontaran, but I do. I do know. And I have an opinion. (Dalek.) You can't get this out of your head once it has wedged itself in there. Believe me, I have tried. But it is no good. I am holding onto my pathetic edge for dear life. I am excited for a new Joss Whedon show! I know who Joss Whedon is! I have watched Dr Horrible twenty times! Pray for me!

Excuse the rant.

I am gaining the upper hand, I think, against him. He has gone too far, emailing me with this one, I tell you. No amount of James Marsters can possibly make this happen.
Alien Western Sci Fi Original Movie

Score one for the self control. YOU WILL NOT CONTROL ME, YOU PUSHER. JUST ONCE WILL HURT.

23 comments:

Carina said...

That might be a rip off of the last Alien/Western/Sci-fi, the brilliant but canceled Firefly, and therefore I might be principally opposed to the new one. I think I might just go around my life finding things to which I can be principally opposed.

I miss Firefly.

Tiffany UnTwisted said...

I got on the comments to personally tell you that hot brits are *sigh* my kryptonite. You definitely get a WOOT for that one. But also, that i'm an ubber-nerd and to tell you to watch Firefly, but Azu already nerded out on us with that one.

Love the nerdy guts!!! (and the new Dr Who is almost better than to old one from the 80s, which YES i watched.)

Waldo said...

Hah! And again I say, Hah!

Sci-fi, fantasy, and speculative fiction are LITERATURE! Joss Whedon is a creative GENIUS! And geeks are sexy.

That is all.

(by the way, my word verification is "gonces." As in, "I will kick you in the gonces.")

dastew said...

W is right. Further one must be discriminating in one's sci fi viewing. For example Battlestar Gallactica = Cool. Let's face it a bunch of kick ass robots, women and fight scenes make it more Terminator and less Enemy Mine. Star Trek Voyager = uncool. In fact one could argue that all star trek is uncool with the exception of movie #2, KAHHHN. Oh and this new movie looks pretty awesome. You want to come see it with us, I've got some vulcan ears you can wear.

Fig said...

Geeky is the new cool.

Have you seen "Serenity"? I mean, I assume you have, but if not . . . you should watch it.

Waldo said...

um, fig, i am the hugest joss whedon fanboy ever. Of course I have seen Serenity. And of course I have Firefly (all the DVDs) and watch them at least once a quarter.

I'm just good like that.

I also bootlegged all the Buffy, Angel, and Serenety comics that Joss Whedon wrote.

And I like the Dresden Files, Dr. Who, Torchwood, Star Wars (but not the Clone Wars- ew), some star trek (KHAAAAN!) but not stargate or BSG (frak them). I am not a gamer, but I speak gamer and like to laugh at them.

Yeah, I'm a geek. But always remember... nerds like the same stuff I do, but geeks have gotten nookie (can I say that?).

And my word verification in "conag." I think he's a barbarian.

Fig said...

You can totally say that. And if Joss Whedon ever runs out of inspiration for character and planet names, google word verif. has his back. (mine: bascentl)

~j. said...

What?

And what's wrong with birkenstocks?

b. said...

Is this post and the comments even in English?

La Yen said...

~J and b--I KNOW. And yet, I even understand what they are saying. It hurts my spirit.

~J, you are fine with Birkenstocks because you grew up in Busti. In YL, however, you had three non-ass-kickable options: Vans/Cons, Docs, or flipflops. Anything else was pushing the boundaries.

And the rest of you--stop encouraging him! I will NEVER be able to save Jooj from Creative Anachronism Society! She will want to go to Renaissance Fair(e)s! STOP IT.

Tiffany: STEP AWAY FROM THE HOT BRIT.

Carina said...

W, you are going to hell for not liking Battlestar.

AND I THOUGHT I KNEW YOU.

Carina said...

I stand by dastew in all his opinions. I've switched loyalties.

La Yen said...

Score one for DaStew in his quest to out-W W. Next up? New haircut..

Katie said...

So, I married a MUCH bigger nerd than you. He's an ACTUARY for cryin' in the night. And I don't know what half of what you talked aobut was... but Battlestar Gallactica is totally the best show on TV! Alas, I am also becoming a geek by osmosis.

Tiffany UnTwisted said...

LaYen -- I absolutely cannot resist the hot Brit. And yes, I have tried out American men, but that just doesn't work for me. And now, I can't even find any worth it so alas I am crushing on something that is nigh impossible, and even more unfortunately, i LIKE IT!!!

Oh and W -- come on with the freaking no liking BSG or Stargate. That's when I fell back in adoration with McGyver, yummy silver hair!

Waldo said...

OK, here's the deal. I will watch season 1 of BSG when I get back to the world, and make a final judgment then. But I have trouble with stargate... mostly from the movie, with the androgynous pharaoh and Kurt Russell and a young, non-Boston Legal James Spader. It's like watching Universal Soldier with a guy in drag.

And McGuyver? Seriously?

I think my problem with BSG was Edward James Olmos (in Spanish, Eduardo James Olmos). I don't know what it is about him...

But I will try it again. I *do* like the original series, as well as Buck Rogers. No street cred for that?

Waldo said...

Oh, and those Creative Anachronism tools are never, and I mean NEVER, going to get my daughter. I abso-frakking-lutely refuse to purchase or condone the making of any type of chain-mail or PVC-based weaponry that is not a potato gun. I will not sit idly by and watch my beautiful little girl get sucked into mock-swordfights with howling dark-elf wannabes who can't seem to (a) accept that they are not, in fact, creatures from the D&D manual or (b) get their storyline continuity straight. I have horror stories about this... email me for details. Or actually, I'll post a blog about it and you, too, can live the horror with me.

Carina said...

W won me back, I can't abide SCA.


Also, if you haven't watched Season 1, then I understand why you're ambiguous on BSG.

Carry on.

Kayt Ludi said...

Yen - being something of a Geek myself I'm afraid I can't come to your aid at all. Yes, I too go for the Doctor Who, Torchwood, BSG, and Stargate - though it took me years to acquiesce on that last count, since I too HATED the movie ... but ditto the silver-foxiness of McGyver ... must be a girl thing ;) - and I don't even have a Geeky husband pushing me in this direction!

But my personal theory is - so long as there's no attendance at conventions; wearing the requisite costume; asking a question of an actor (as though they are actually their character) involving the quoting of something from episode # 106 in season 3 - then we're all still sane (birks and renaissance fairs or no). I suspect that must be the nerdy "no nookie" territory W was referring to ;)

Anyway, my theory makes me feel better anyway, lol ;)

PS - another mark of sanity (or so I'm told) is recognizing that SciFi is incapable of making a decent movie (they must spend all their money on series). Exhibit A: Megasnake.

PPS - my word verification is Strasi ... sounds like some sort of alien race to me! :)

dastew said...

Azucar thank you for joining us on the Geek side. I have a love hate relationship with SG1. I hate that sometimes I love watching it. I especially hate that they have this super awesome technology and somehow still use uzis when their missions. I mean what the frac.

As to BSG, the awesomeness of it cannot be denied. Edward James Olmos and the President's wife from Independence Day are just awesome actors in that show.

After a day of contemplation I have a new test of nerdliness. Dune...you can like the book but if you like the original move with Sting and Captain Picard you're definitely a geek.

dalene said...

Late to the party. I haven't stepped out of my Birkenstocks since 1988. I am a Gseek, but apparently not a cool one because I've watched every episode of Star Trek Next Generation and I own them on VHS, although some I like better than others. Of course in those days choices were few...

MacGyver is so cool he became a verb.

Vampires and skinny Brits are hot. But if you didn't love them long before Edward appeared on the scene then you're not a true geek.

p.s. If I would have had another child after I was done I may just have had to name him Zander. I may have felt compelled to do that even if she had been a girl. It's probably better that never happened.

dalene said...

Apparently I'm a Geek who doesn't know how to spell (Gseek?). Is that even possible?

La Yen said...

Oh, Dalene. I am so glad I loved you with all my heart before I found out about your VHS collection.

Related Posts with Thumbnails