You know in the movies when the soldiers are going away and the families gather on the tarmac and wave them off? And there is confetti and a congressman and some sort of banner?
We don't get that.
We get to go to the gym, eat danish and punch, and hang out for two hours, at which point a mean soldier says "Thanks for your support families, but we need to go. Soldiers, when I call your name put your bags here and get on the plane." Then the moms grab the kids and there is serious kid crying and wife crying and everyone gets in their cars and goes home.
But Jooj and I don't get that, either.
Because W has been named the mean soldier. He has to kick all of the ladies out. He has to get the refreshments and bus plans and meals for the flight and take care of it all. He has done this two times already and has decreed, in his infinite wisdom, that we will not be attending the farewell.
"I will not have you there making me cry," he says. "I won't be the guy who cries."
I am perfectly fine with that. I am more of a "with your shield or on it" wife. I don't think I could handle seeing him lose it. Mark my words, he will, but it will be on his terms. And that gives me comfort, somehow.
I have only seen him cry one time. It was during our wedding ceremony. He was sniffling and wiping his eyes and I thought "He loves me!" And then right after we went to kiss he whispered "These contacts are killing me!" and ran to the mirror to fix it. In perpetuity, as it were. Then he came back and was ready for the reception. It pretty much set the tone for our marriage.
So we are saying our goodbyes little by little throughout the weekend. On departure day he will go to work like usual, except he won't come home, kind of like usual. I will get a ride and pick up the car at some point, and then I will go on. We haven't talked with Jooj about it too much, because she is too little to grasp it. I will just tell her Papi is at work, then we will watch the video of ~J's dance recital girls and she will move forward.
I did take her to Build A Bear yesterday and she picked out a matching bear for herself and for W. She recorded a message for her Papi inside, "I Yuv Yu Pops!" and dressed him in a soccer outfit--all her choice. Her bear she wanted in an Army Uniform "Es yike me Papi!" and I brought home a thing for W to put a message in when he got home. As he unwrapped it, he got a little sniffly and wiped at his eyes. But Papo and Cay Cay got him Lasik few years back, so I knew it was real.
Friday, January 04, 2008
No TickerTape Parade for us--just carrying on with Gabba and Passions.
Labels: Saying Adios to Papi
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

17 comments:
I don't have the excuse of contacts, but now I need to go reapply my mascara before I head out the door to work.
There really are no words except to say thank you and God speed.
Me too... I am so glad that there are men like W who do what they do, but I hate that they have to leave all the moms and kids behind. It doesn't seem fair somehow....
Sorry he had to be the mean soldier. That stinks. Hang in there. What can we do for you during these first hard weeks? (well, they are all going to be hard, but I mean the first ones while you are adjusting...)
Me three. I couldn't come up with a single excuse to hide the tears streaming. I know we don't know each other, but do know you all WILL be in my prayers, nevertheless. God bless you.
It just sucks.
I laughed, I cried, this post was better than Cats.
My gut feels all crappy now (not because I'm administrating or have to poop) and I feel like I'm choking (which I first spelled "chocking" like I'm in the midst of eating chocolates, actually a good plan.
I'd like to put a twist on the wedding crying. BECAUSE he was heartfeltedly crying in love is WHY his contacts were bothering him ;o)
When my dad went off to one of the long-term duties (maybe Desert Storm), I don't remember saying goodbye. What I DO remember is the Welcome Back. Now THAT makes me feel all chocky again ;o)
damn you WAR!!!
loving you Yen
Oh thanks, my friends. Your support means so much.
I am getting antsy for visiting...
And Lucky-it is sweet the way you think he had intentions other than getting lint out of his eyes. Like you never met him.
Loving yous-guys.
Missing yous-guys.
hang in there. you are already tougher than i could ever be. and enjoy those peanut buster parfaits.
i don't comment much, but i read your blog and love what you have to say. (and i'm a friend of jenny's).
That was funny and hard to read all at once. Being out there in El Paso, I became great friends with many military families and I must praise you for your courage and sacrifice. Really commendable!
You and your family are still in my prayers. And will be till he comes home safely. Thank you W, La Yen, and Jooj.....and all those just like you.
I was holding it together until you got to the bears ... damn those bears!
You, the Jooj, the dogs, the bear (and the parfaits!) are always welcome in WV. And if a visit to Appalachia don't thrill ya, I will be driving back to Cali (alone) for 3-4 weeks worth of nonsense in July/Aug (dates not firm yet), so I can drop by and see all the highlights of North Mexico (doesn't the prospect of that alone just brighten your day tremendously, LOL!) I do owe you a lunch after all ;)
Thanks for all of your comments--it makes me feel good to remember I have friends. And Heather, Welcome! Any friend of ~J's is a friend of mine.
And Kayt--4th of July I will be in Utah, so work around that, and I will get you some serious steak in the EP.
You know if Jane Austen times, people would come and visit and close their own house down and stay for weeks.
I'm just sayin'.
Thinking of you often. Hugs.
I think sue is onto something... ;-)
I don't know how you... I think I'd be throwing a fit all the time. I'm tempermental (sp?) like that. You...you bring humor and strike things straight to the heart... how do you... I would love to meet FOR REAL... just to say I was in the presence of a REAL woman.
I so admire you and your family. Thanks for letting us share in your life. You give us a gift. A chance to say thank you...and a chance to pray for you.
I don't know what to say (or type, as the case may be). All our prayers and love your way. And please come visit all of us Utah bloggers.
Post a Comment