Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Question:

I desperately wish I could be fancy and fabulous, but I have NO idea how. I read design mom and NieNie's blogs, I look at my Real Simple, I even subscribed to Martha for a while. None of this helps. I star and circle and dog-ear and highlight my Ballard Design catalog. Still doesn't translate. I can make a house a home through love and welcoming and blahbitty-blah, but it still doesn't make my home look pretty. I have been married for almost eleven years and still don't have anything that matches. What do I do? What is the first step?

9 comments:

Carina said...

The easiest thing to do is to pick one piece you like and work from there. Do you love your butter-yellow couch? It’s hip, and modern, and you could build a room around it. Is there a piece of art, or a mirror, or anything else that you love? I know my biggest problem is that I find one thing I love and then ten more things that don’t go with the first. You have to be disciplined, if it’s not going to match the inspiration piece, you have to pick another room or put it down and wish it luck until the next lifetime. That saves you money too.

In planning a space you need to consider the space, the function, and then the colors, finishes, textures. A few ground rules: if you have lighter floors and walls, pick darker or color pieces. If you have darker floors or walls go with lighter colored furniture.

You want to decide on a color palette as well. The general rule is 2-3 colors and one POP of color: A neutral, a color, a pattern, and a pop. You can do two shades of blue and then orange in a vase, a pillow, or a cool object here and there for contrast. For instance: neutral walls, color furniture, pattern rug, contrasting objects in a brighter shade. Repeat the bright pop at least three times to unify the space. Neutral furniture, color walls, pattern in wall hangings, bright pops of pillows.

One of my favorite designers, my friend Anne, reminded me about Josephine’s residence (of Napoleon and Josephine fame.) What she took from that place was to put as much sparkle into your place as possible: light reflecting glass or crystal, shiny fabric, chrome or bright metal pieces, mirrors, etc. If you watch Divine Design, that chick totally follows that ethos.


In considering your house the way it is now, you have really light floors, walls, and ceilings. I would start with painting some of your walls in darker neutrals. That will make the furniture you have stand out. Then consider texture, either in art, or patterns. I saw a model house today where they had taken panels of fabric and wrapped them around a simple wooden box—talk about easy! The panels were hung in groups of three or more. They were beautiful, but could also be replicated on the cheap.

You can always find area rugs on sale and they are a great way to define a space while being portable. I like the idea of Flor tiles for your kitchen. They are peel and stick carpet squares that you can get in commercial quality. Liquids will bead on the surface. They will help break up the expanse of tile.

You have those dramatic windows in your front area that could really benefit from a window treatment that spans the height. Do you sew? I think you sew, right? Because, believe me, a rectangle is the easiest thing in the world to sew. One of my favorite shows is the Wow Factor on BBC America, she really walks you through creating a space. The newer Divine Designs are good too because she also explains the theory behind her choices and shows you what she didn’t select.

Is that the longest comment in the history of blogging? Maybe. I have more ideas.

Rochelleht said...

I'm all about copying.

My 2 cents.

Rynell said...

Thanks for axin'... cause I need to know too. Eleven years and I still have hand-me-downs or mismatched furnishings that are so not my style. But then, what is my style?

Emmie said...

If I ever have a bajillion dollars to spare, I'm going to walk into Pottery Barn, point to pages in their catalog, and say, "Give me everything I need to make my house look like that."

Since I don't have a bajillion dollars, the only advice I can offer is to listen to Carina.

sue-donym said...

Wow Carina - can you come to my place? And can you just do all that, cuz I can't - even after people telling me how. So I'm with ya Yen. 16 years of domestic bliss and I can still burn cold cereal.

But I have big boobs - so it all really doesn't matter.

dastew said...

By the way Yen I love your yellow couch because we got your huge couch because of it...though it's not quite in the shape it once was...sad really.

La Yen said...

Good starting points. I even know a guy who will paint for me--I will keep you updated, Az.

Sue, I have them, too, but since W is never home I am left alone, wondering why I live in a hovel...

Stew--you need to get a new couch.

Everyone else, welcome! As Azucar's interior design agent I would be happy to send her to your place for $10.

Emily said...

My philosophy is kind of anti-matching. Paint the walls, mix and match furniture and art/wall hangings, keep it clutter-free: Wha la! I think so much depends on spacing things nicely, especially on walls.

dalene said...

Do not get me started.

Related Posts with Thumbnails