1. We have a game out here that we call "Shoot to the moon." Basically, you have to say the people that you would gladly shoot to the moon and never rescue. Mine is always Uma Thurman. The games here are much less fun than the games of yore. Example: Through a series of blogs, I have found myself thinking a lot about college, and Melanee Phipps. Her favorite game for a while was naming words that were really fun to say. "Pickle" "Boob" and "Poop" were always in the top three. I also like "ChicketyChina." I miss Melanee.
2. I am soon to be without a vehicle and am really afraid that I will go stir crazy. I would like suggestions of things that I can do without leaving my house. I would not like cleaning suggestions, thank you CayCay. So far I have these ideas: watch tv.
3. Does anyone have that cake maker that they show on tv where it is a hollowed out dome and you can fill the cake with other cake? Does it work? Do you like it? W has banned me from ordering things off of tv, but if I have a testimonial maybe he will relent a little.
5. Jooj update: Mostly, Gigi yells.

6. I just finished an autobiography of Gene Wilder. What a disapointment. He is really, really irritating. I will never read another autobiography again, and here is why: If you want the world to read your story in your words, you are probably really egotistical and include all sorts of thigs that no one enjoys but you. Also, you badmouth Gilda and leave your wives and wonder why your kids don't love you. Plus, you are way too fixated on every single base you ever got to, and you think that the reader cares about it. What we wanted to hear: Living with Gilda was fun. Mel Brooks is fun. Young Frankenstein was really fun. What we heard: The first time you copped a feel. The second time you copped a feel. The eleventh time you copped a feel. You married a lapsed Mormon. Then you copped a feel. With a biography, you get an experienced author who will weed these things out. With Gene Wilder as the author, you get crap.


44 comments:
One of my roommates' favorite games was the "sex" game. Any word that started with "ex" or "_ex" was instead started with sex, i.e., sexellent, and Sexburg Idaho.
Ideas when stuck at home: blog, try new recipes, read favorite books, watch girlie movies, create file folder FHE lessons.
Yes, several of these are very domestic, but when you're stuck at home, what are you going to do but be domestic (I have no car at least 2 times a week)?
You are making me miss Melanee. The most fun I ever had in my life is when I worked at the Barnes and Nobles w/ Chris Clark, Melanee and Cathy and gang......grrrrr.
As for the no car thing. Yikes. Derek and I didn't have two cars the first two years we were in Palo Alto. I had to drop Derek off and pick him up etc....when we had Lulu we finally bought a crappy car. Both of our cars are over 10 years old and we we need to sqeeze 5 more years out of them!! I suggest finding a friend with a car!! Especially a friend that has only one child--no more then two, otherwise you can't fit everyone in the car. I had a person like that, and then I BECAME that person. Other times we took turns with the car. I would get it two days a week and Drive D to work. Hard, but worth it so as not to feel tied down.
Do you have good public transport? I used it all the time in the other palces we lived, but we don't have a good version here. With a baby Gigi's age, you need to leave the house EVERY DAY or you will go crazy. THere was a time that I walked to Safeway or Target everyday and let her play in the toys and go back for nap time. It saved me more then once.
That is a hard one.
LOVED the review of Gene Wilder's book. You have quite a way with words. You also remind me of Melanee.
Boob.
R
Hey Bek--Waldo worked at B&N for a while--he was a coffee boy. This was BEFORE the Starbucks and Borders invasion. Did you know him?
As for public transportation, you know how in Provo the busses are filled with Messiahs and Prophets and Breeders? Here they are like that, only drunker. No thanks. As far as walking, we are going to do a lot of that once the thermometer drops below 500.
Thanks cabesh for the ideas--how about you do all of the domestic ones for me and send them to me...
Oh yeah, I forgot about the crazies on the bus. I don't blame you. I also forgot about the heat.
I will keep thinking.....
P.S. I don't think that I knew Waldo, I would have remembered a name like that, but I was engaged then and was a little bit of an airhead. :-)
OMG do you guys remember that time Melanee did that thing with those other things? Then those other people found out about it! That was so awesome. Melanee rules.
As for being stuck at home, I would recommend the following.
1: Sign out a Poker book from the Library.
2: Sign up for a Poker Account at Poker Stars
3: Play poker online for HOURS on end.
4: Take a nap.
5: Wake up and blog about how great it is being able to play poker and nap all day long while everyone else has to work.
Seriously though (well quasi-seriously, no one should be COMPLETELY serious, you'll end up like Nooner....Eckter?) you should start a hobby, find a few books about it, see what you can find online, and otherwise become a Master of all things Obscure.
Good luck.
JOSEPH INMAN. seriously? you think I'm too serious??
(I'd describe myself as frlarkt.)
I know a girl in your situation who taught herself to knit. Now she knits all the time. When I first stayed home w/ Lauren, I taught myself how to sew. Mostly I wanted a really cute nursery and couldn't afford the Pottery Barn prices. I did take a few quilting classes and now I sewing is at a point where it is fun, not stressful. Although, if you get a hobby you will start spending money. Before, I never spent money in fabric stores, now I have a closet full of fabric.....maybe that is a bad idea.
Have you ever played Bejeweled 2? That can kill a good 3 hours a day.....
R
I freaking love Bejewelled. When we moved here and I was unemployed with nothing to do I played Bejewelled every day. I have been known to have to put eye drops in because of Bejewelled.
I knit and crochet, but how many sweaters does my kid need? I've made everyone's girl a pancho, and I am blanket-full. I even made a bath mitt shaped like a dog. I think that I will take up some kind of compulsion. Either handwashing or touching doorstops. That will kill some time, I think.
I am ignoring Joe and his dislike of Melanee-related-conversations. And W won't let me play poker because of my compulsive gambling that we had to have an intervention for two years ago.
Motesh: When the MoTab sings with John Tesh.
Jenny E - I don't REALLY think you're too serious. I was just being silly.
Galen - I wasn't making fun or disliking Melanee, I just thought I'd try to be like the cool kids and jump into a private conversation that everyone seemed to get but me. *sigh* Someday I'll be cool, really I will. *sniff* I think I'll go eat worms.
*note to self* Must establish sarcastic sense of humor to new people. Check.
Oh hey, I had another thunk about what you could do since the whole Poker thing is probably something you might want to stay away from.
I saw this movie once where this woman was home alone a lot, and she lived in the Louisanna Swamps (not that you do of course) but she had this Donkey (which must be a very hansome and intelligent animal as people often comment on how much I resemble them in look and manner) and she taught the Donkey to play Badminton and they would spend hours and hours just happily playing away together. Just think of how popular you would be if you had your very own Badminton Playing Donkey. Your neighbors would all be very jealous.
I am a genius.
Wow. That's unbefreakinlievable. Point to Joe. Just think: a DONKEY. You could teach donkey how to knit, how to change diapers, AND it's a new thing for your dogs to hump. He could also carry your agua across many miles, should the need arise.
Actually I failed to take into account you're ALREADY in Texas, do you already have one? If so, then you wounldn't need to GET one, so much as teach it to do cool tricks.
She's not in Texas as much as she's in North Mexico. That would mean that if she had anything, it would be a burro.
The badmitten playing donkey. It eh real thing doesn't work out, you could write childrens books about it! :-)
Ok, the knitting thing is a no. I like the idea of picking up a compulsion. Have you read Naked by David Sedaris? I am a late comer to his humor and all his books are good (except Barrel Fever--boring). You need to read Naked. You will love it. I think you have the right sense of humor. Another good one from his is Me Talk Pretty Someday and Holiday's on Ice. If you don't want to buy the book, wait till Waldo comes home and take some "me" time at the local BandN or Tower and read it there. You will giggle.
I am still thinking of what you can do.
Dang, I can't get the picture of the badmitten playing donkey (or burro, if you will) out of my mind. How about teaching a squirrel to waterski? Maybe we can teach Gigi some great trick.........
R
Bek, you are the kindest. I think it's wonderful that you are sincerely working on a project for Jen. I will say, though, that they know the Sedaris. They introduced me. And I've never been the same. My favorite from Me Talk Pretty One Day is You Can't Kill the Rooster.
I know! Let's start a chain letter. Or an on-line book group. Or toll painting.
Melanee? Never heard of her.
I was thinking about picking up the Wilder biography at the library and I'm so glad I didn't!
Can you go on walks with jooj? I know that means leaving the house, and while on principle it's not the best idea, sometimes walks can prevent heads in ovens.
I would suggest that you get crafty, but you're already a crafty person, and creative too. You know, you could charge people to do their scrapbooking for them. Sell your knit baby items online. Sell the contents of your house on eBay. Make all those fancy desserts, like Baked Alaska or Peach Melba just to bring it up in conversation. Master the art of homemade puff pastry. Take up cake decorating. Paint onsies for the jooj. You could take a lover. How about SMOCKING!
Online book group sounds fun.
I was going to get the cake maker for my sister for her birthday. Can you wait 3 months?
Kill the Rooster is awesome. I also have a fond spot in my heart for the one from Me Talk Pretty where he is taking the French class in Paris and they learn about Easter w/ the flying bell and the teacher is really mean.....ahhh, Paris.
Sometimes I actually laugh out loud just thinking of some of his stuff. I saw him do a reading on Letterman awhile ago. It was awesome.
I finally figured out what you can do. You can take a home study course. There is a really cool one that can qualify you for TV/VCR and vacuume repair. Come on, it would be fun. I also hear you can work from home and make up to 25,000$ a month. Herbalife, Amway? You could drive away all the people that you have managed to meet there.
When is your sealing? Are you interested in any girl clothes? What size is Gigi? I gave all of Lulu's clothes to Lisa Clark and Phoebe used them, but I don't want them back. I think she now has all the sizes from 12 months to 4T. Phoebe is wearing 2T's now.
I was a working mom back then so my only job was to dress my kid cute before I sent her to daycare. Some stuff might be unusable, but lots of it could be? Any interest? You could get it in Utah when you finalize and save Lisa a trip to Goodwill.
R
Bek--the Jooj is in a 6 month, and that will exhaust the vast quantity I got at the shower. She has three times as many clothes as I have now, but if she gains ten pounds she will have to be naked. Thanks! I will take any handouts I can. I love Sedaris. I resold my Me Talk Pretty because I had it memorized and I needed $6. I also have them on audio cd to listen to on long drives. Holiday on ice is GREAT when Sedaris reads it. Not sure when the temple will be--we should be getting the court date in a week or so, and then I will book the joint.
I am down with an online book group. I already forced Jenny to read my favorite book "I aint got time to bleed" by Gov. The body Ventura. What would we read?
Joe--I am not interested in training the burro so much as watching this movie, possibly every day. Can you remember what it was called? Was it a Disney Movie with the young Kurt Russell? The Donkey that wore tennis shoes? Flubber donkey? Donkey in the bubble?
Carina--do you know how to smock? Would a lover want me to do it? Cause I am not that motivated. If a lover would just want to give me presents, then I think I am considering that.
Bek, do you talk to Lisa often?
The movie was Waterboy, a quasi-documentary about the trials and tribulations of a "mentaly challenged" boy in a public school environment where his lifestyle of home schooling comes in direct opposition to a large university. He finds solice as an outcast on the school football team and is spurred to greatness by his coach (Fonzie). It's a deeply inspiring movie that everyone should see. Unfortunatly the donkey playing badmitton scene doesn't quite get the attention it deserves, but that's mostly do to Corporate Editing policies. It's a shame.
I'm up for a book club as well. Might I suggest the first book we start with, "Winning Low Limit Holdem" by Lee Jones, it's a great piece of nonfiction about how to bring personal success to a sea of chaos and confusion in the world around us.
I haven't read the new Nick Hornby book yet "A Long Way Down."
The problem with lovers, let me tell you, is that they always end up threatening to go to the papers. You should decide your tolerance for extortion and then make your decision.
I say we do an online book club. I like reading books, it is just the darn meetings I hate going to.
The summer I lived with Melanee (sorry Joe) Chris Clark started a book club, but all the books were really trashy beach novels. We would get together and discuss themes like irony, etc. It was pretty funny. Then again, these are the same people that started the Bean Society as a club at BYU. Yes a club about beans...every meeting we read literature that had beans in it, ate bean dishes etc..it was very tounge in cheek, but very fun. I was in the BYU Homecoming parade as the Bean Society Royalty. We treated it like it was totally serious and people didn't quite know what to make of it. Dumb college stuff.
Anyway, my point is that we should have an online book club but not read Oprah books. I am not saying that they have to be eyecandy books, but different is good!
Jen E. I talk to Lisa weekly, sometimes daily. She is the only person I keep in touch with from either High School or College. I am just lazy. You should call her. When I read you last post (about teh bbq) I thought of her. A big e mail is still coming. How is the juice fast?
R
I'm keeping a blog-log of the fast that I will publish when it's all finished. It's actually going quite well...I don't want to spoil any of the details. :)
I'm going to Lisa's house tonight with cjane & her husband. I'm really looking forward to it.
I agree with the book club (good idea, me). No Martha Beck allowed. Are we agreed? Shall we start a separate blog and be "team members"? Should we call the book club "swqibhy"?
I also think we should start a chain letter.
All great ideas.
I am SO JEALOUS that you get to go to the Clark house. I miss her kids too. I have single handedly overloaded her home with Princess stuff. I am putting all my angst about my girl growing up into buying suff for Phoebe. I also justify buying cute clothes for Lu because "Phoebe will wear them". Sigh.
If you have an awkward moment in the conversation you can get them to tell embarassing stories--they usually involve me being the one who is embarassed. Like the first time they met my future husband, Chris said "Rebecca is a stinky whore". (it sounds worse then it really was) Derek, who didn't really know them or quite know what to think about that statement just looked uncomfortable and said "she's not a whore...". Thanks for sticking up for me honey!!!
Have fun!!! I forgot that you already met them at Chris's b-day parts. I am so jealous....Next time I come to town we will have to do a blog reunion......we need to wait for Jen G.....
I thought we were all going to Disneyland in February for our reunion. Or should we instead see if blogger.com will sponsor a float for us all in the parade next year on the 4th?
Actually, I'm thinking (seriously, now) about getting SoCal fun passes at Costco - something like a 3-day park hopper, plus a day at the zoo or seaworld, plus a day at knott's, all for less than what a 3-day park-hopper actually costs. And I think they expire in March.
I just said that you met at Chris's birthday PARTS!! Ummmm, no. I meant party.
The So Cal pass is the way to go. Last time we went to Sea World (loved) and the zoo. All of these are good things and if you plan on going anyway, it costs less to buy ahead. Seaworld has the BEST FOOD. Seriously.
Jen G--
I called Lisa and she is going to give two totes of clothes to Jenny E tonight. There are seriously TWO HUGE PLASTIC TOTES just for the 12-18 and 18-24. I guess I am a clothes whore. I will warn you, I have a thing for matching outfits. I like em. I am hoping Jenny will hold them for you until you come up to Utah. Lisa said that most are still in good shape. They are 12-2T. When she gets done w/ the 2T, she can send them along too and so on until you say stop.
As long as you don't mind using Jenny as the Underground Railroad. I have not had to purchase one thing for JJ. I get the hand me downs from two of my friends. This is great because it leaves me more money to buy cute girl clothes with. :-) It is the only way to do it. Kids don't wear out clothes fast enough. Also, girls need more clothes then boys--it isn't sexist, it is just true.
Go crazy. If anything is left when you are finished with them, just pass them along. They are yours now. :-)
It's not true, you should see El Guille's wardrobe. He's a freakin' clothes horse. Just today he came home with a sack-o-duds from Old Navy, he was all "What up, Ma." I was all "Where did you get those clothes, William?" He was all "Why u gotta get all up in ma' grill fo?! Chill, yo!" So I just let the suede boots, new cords, and track jacket slide. He's hopeless, but he looks tight.
p.s. I'm glad I'm not the only one who wants to smack Martha Beck. I'd give her an "orkvu."
Carina,
You are right, there are LOTS of cute clothes but the varitey isn't the same. For me anyway, how many cords, jeans and cute t shirts and polo's does my kid need. They all start to look the same. With my girl, there are pants and skirts and skorts and leggings and boots and flip flops and sandals and patent leather and dresses, etc etc. It is all about variety!!!
My poor little black boy dresses like a little prep. I keep thinking maybe I should put him Girbaud and Fubu and Sean John, but we are too nerdy. It is Polo and Gap for our little man. Poor kid. ;-)
R
We don't have an Old Navy anywhere close to me--the closest one has about two rows of kids clothes. That might make a difference. We do have the Children's Place, but that is still pretty traditional. I don't know where to shop for something more trendy then carpenter camo shorts. :-)
I am a HUGe fan of Hanna Andersson, but that is still pretty preppy for boys. Just do Nordstroms and hit the little man section. Plus, just because he is black doesn't mean he should be all gangsta. Living on a military base has taught me that there are all spectrums of fashion to consider for the man--from RIDICULOUS to Uber-Gap. Just dress him manly--don't commit to spending the money now--he will require you to buy him $300 shoes buy junior high.
We should have a theme for the Book Club. LDS Living suggests LDS books and to that I say "no." Oprah's old club was based on novels about women who were either black and raped, or white and abused, or sometimes a mix of both. No on that one, too. (Her new club is based on the idea that she is Oprah, and so you shouldn't question that her choices are the ones that we have all been reading for years, because they are classics. We should think that she "discovered" East of Eden and Anna Karennina.) Do we want trashy or do we want substance?
Check out Dillard's and Macey's for some some unusual clothes. I picked up some really cute Radio Flyer clothes for Will that kind of have a retro feel and are adorable. Best part was that Dillards was clearance pricing them. I got great overalls and matching outfits for 3-5 dollars each. I've found really cute Diesel stuff at places like TJ Maxx.
While it can be harder to dress a boy than a girl I consider it a personal challenge. Anyone can pick up a cute girl's outfit, it takes some skills to coordinate a boy ;). I gots the shoppin skillz.
OldNavy.com is so much better than any of the messy stores. No hunting through the racks or finding something cute and not in the right size. Often the prices & selection online beat the ones in the store.
Here's another hint, eBay will often have great designer kids clothes for really great prices.
You just need some Tommy to round out J's wardrobe.
I remember watching an episode of the baby story show and the mom-to-be kept bragging about all her baby clothes from Tommy Hillfinger. I wanted to scream. "Ohh, look! Another Tommy Hilfinger! I just love baby clothes that are Tommy Hilfinger!"
I find it fascinating that Oprah discovered all those books AND invented journal-writing.
Okay, I've created a book club blog for us. Should we have to register as team members? Just allow anyone to comment? email me at jeckton(at)marykay.com, and we'll get it going. First book will be in October. I'll email you and tell you what it is, when you email me and tell me you want to be in the club.
Thanks for the shopping tips. It is good to know. As soon as we pay off the babies that weren't, I am going to start buying clothes for the monkey man (so called because he can climb anything and wakes up making noises like "whoo whoo, eeee, eee--just like a monkey, also his strange resemblence to Curious George). We don't have Dillards here, but we do have things like TJ Maxx and Nordstrom. There is a really great South African Store that is called Naartjie (one just opened in SLC) they have decent boys clothes--and wickec girls clothes--very Hanna Anserson-y). I also like a store called Jack and Jane--by the Gymboree people. It's like the Bananna of kids clothes.
Yes to the book club. We should do all kinds. I like to read for enjoyment. No thanks to the books that are too much work. Sue me. We should all submit a list of books that we have really loved that might be off the normal reading list and see what happens.
I also want to say for the record that while I am a good girl, I do watch movies that have swear words etc in them. I am not saying that we have to read TRASHY TRASHY books, but some books that have a little bit of grit are worth reading.
I am in.....I have my list already going......
R
I like trashy books, but I'm a trashy girl.
I'm late to this conversation, but I have some comments.
I'd like to shoot Paris, Nicole Richie, and Susan Sarandon to the moon.
You should take up a lover.
I do, indeed, have Erbecca's little girl clothes and Jenny can come and get them after we go to lunch. You're all invited. And it can't be Artic Circle.
Melanee slays me. I like it when she says "moist cake," or "penis ointment." Those are the best/worst words ever.
W's mom used to get mad at them for calling each other "stupid" and tell them to at least be original. The words she chose to use as examples for name calling:
"scrotum fold" "penis wrinkle." Good parenting, that will ensure that your kids use said names in primary.
Lisa,
You should be in the book club too....we need to get Melanee on the computer too. I will do it and read books just to read the comment sections of people like the two Jens', Lisa, Carina, and Joe (you seem to have the funny but it may be too soon to tell).
R
I emailed Melanee last night--it seemed odd to have a shrine to her that she doesn't know about. She won't join a book club, though, she has told me many times that she doesn't read anything anymore; that is what movies are for.
I would second Lisa's shooting Paris and Nicole Richie to the moon. I'd also like to put Lindsey Lohan (post Freaky Friday) on that rocketship.
Jen G.--I can't wait to call Matt "scrotum fold" when he forgets to take out the trash again!!
Can I be in your cool girl book club?? Mostly I'm with Bek, I just want to hear what you guys have to say!!
Oh I forgot--Carina, I love your punk rock guy? Where did you find that little spike collar??
Heehee, I bought it at PetsMart. I figured the only way I could find a child-size spike collar was to buy a dog-size spike collar. Plus, it was more studded than spike since I didn't want to kill my child for Halloween (this year.)
Post a Comment